Thursday 25 September 2014

Soil Hill to Ogden

14:30

I had a walk from home to Ogden via Soil Hill in near constant drizzle this aft.

As I Passed Row Farm on the way to SH a couple of Wren, Blue Tit and Chaffinch made an appearance.

It was Bleaksville on SH with just a solitary Carrion Crow on the mast and a F. Mallard on the track nearby.

Approaching the contour footpath at the North end of the track I had a really clear view of a Common Snipe held momentarily in the head wind as it tried to vamoose – of course the camera was in the rucksack selfishly sheltering out of the rain, so no pics.

C20  Meadow Pipits left cover and hovered about for a while as I trudged around the hill and down to Ned Hill track.

From Ned Hill track to the end of Coal Lane just a Wren to report.

The plantation bridleway had a lovely aroma of Pine, trapped by the heavy mist, and nowt else.

I was struggling now, to take a photo of anything remotely interesting.
Crossing the activity field a couple of really interesting Jackdaw were perched on the Barn roof. 
A Chaffinch, Robin and 2 or 3 Pheasants near the pines on the way to Ogden.

After several attempts, I finally got a picture of a very elusive Robin flitting about in the bottom of the very dark pines - desperate or what?

Leaving the Pines on the way to the water just c10 Meadow Pipit keeping the sheep company.

Ogden Water.

After checking out the feeders in the heavy drizzle – Nuthatch, Blue, Great & Coal Tit, Robin & Wren here – I was rewarded with a bit of the dry stuff.

On the water ,Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Little Grebe, & Tufted Duck with the usual Gull sp.

I heard a call, similar to that of a Redshank, but I did not see a Wader; although I kept a keen look out for one.

Also flying over the water a Jay - unusual for me to see a Jay here.

Sue kindly came from home and  picked me up, saving me a bit of boot leather.


After all the wet stuff today – guess what? The water’s off at home due a Yorkshire Water “problem at Ingham Lane“. I DON'T BELIEVE IT.

@Victor Meldrew II














Dracula dries again


A new mud bank








4 comments:

  1. Glad you stated the projection was a mud bank, I thought it was one of the local Hippos

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit of SH.. day - but the SH Snipe made my day.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good report in poor conditions John. You must have just missed DJSs Pinkies over Ogden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a vague recollection of hearing some geese while under the trees trying to snap the Little Grebe - most probably the Pinkies -Doh!

    ReplyDelete