Friday 15 May 2015

Soil Hill, Ogden, Golf Course, Stod Fold , Rocks Lane, Peat Pits and Bradshaw

I had a fair old hike today. A cool morning improving to a lovely sunny afternoon.

Soil Hill 9:15

Bradshaw bridleway had Mistle Thrush, Starlings and a Wren in full voice.

At Soil Hill - a first. The grass around the mast area was being strimmed by 2 men. I closed my ears and put some nyger seed down.
Just Skylarks and Meadow Pipit about - the strimming noise could just possibly, maybe, perhaps, conceivably, per chance had frightened a few meggas away!

A strange sound , like toads calling , was coming from the top area.I had a gander about but saw nowt!

A LBBG > N, and coming down onto Ned Hill Track a Whitethroat singing as it did a circular flight. A F. Blackcap was in the bushes here.

Coal Lane - Plantation Area 10:15.

2 Swallow, Chaffinch, 3 Large Gulls > W, Whitethroat, Skylark and 2 Pheasants.

Ogden Woods 10:45.

I took the path , north , through the woods to it's demise at the fence ,before open moorland.
There were tree fellers working lower down making a racket with a chain saw - actually there were only two fellows(ho..ho..ho).

And making a racket with a chain saw is a pretty neat trick ( ho..ho..ho again).

It seemed to be my day for noise.

Just Wren, Chaffinch, Blue and Great Tit plus GSW calling and  Curlew calling.

I retraced my steps back to Ogden water.

Ogden Circuit 11:30.

Tufted Duck, 2 Chiffchaff, A Greylag Goose and an odd ball Goose, Willow Warbler and  Sparrowhawk.
It was nice to bump into DJS and have a natter.
He received a call from NK re: a Whinchat singing on the golf course.
After DJS had left I had decided to stop for a lunch break and go around the res. afterwards, but after lunch I decided to give the Whinchat a go.

It was a pity I didn't pay a bit more attention to it's exact location on the golf course instead of trusting to luck because I did not see it.
Nice one Nigel well done.
However I did get a Pipit with a different call that I'm fairly sure was a Tree Pipit!! Also a couple of deer.

Going around the golf course area, Jay. Greenfinch, 4 Pheasant, 3 Swift, Whitethroat, 8 Goldfinch together and 3 Wren.

Stod Fold 13:00 and home via Rocks Lane & South Peat Pitts Farm had not a lot going on.

4 Canada Goose, Chiffchaff, Mistle Thrush and a few Swallow.


No Wheatear seen - a poor do for Wheatear this year so far.






Strimmers in the distance!!



























3 comments:

  1. A fair trek round John and no mention of going to the cafe, thats worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only call at the cafe when 'er in doors is with me.
    Well ......... maybe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. some nice pics there John, shame about the whinchat for ya, Yeah thought the same as Brian about the cafe ho ho ho.

    ReplyDelete