Wednesday 26 August 2015

Bradshaw – Holdsworth – Oats Royd – Bradshaw

14:00 – 16:15

I had a look around my local area today, started off hoping for Redstart, ended up hoping for anything!!

Nothing much seen from home to Holdsworth.

A few House Sparrow on feeders near the park and the faint call of a Bullfinch kept me dallying  for a while in the tress near the small caravan site near Holdsworth House.

The ponds at Oats Royd held the 3 domesticated geese, although I did hear a Moorhen call, although it did not make an appearance.

2 small Deer sauntered past the far end of the lowest pond and promptly disappeared into thin air.
I encountered the sad sight, on the main path, of a dead juv. Woodpigeon.

Throughout the walk Swallows were feeding, flying low along the fields and there were 20 plus Jackdaw on the walls and in the fields.

The highlight of a poor outing was hearing a singing Chiff-Chaff.

Above the highest pond a very secretive juv. “something” kept me quiet for a good 10 mins. before it popped up onto a branch showing itself to be a Chaffinch.

A Kestrel made a brief appearance over the Roper Lane hills.

On the way home a Mistle Thrush was at Bradshaw Park and within 200yds of home a ???? miles off on a wall.

I though Little Owl possibly but I think It’s too big to be a Little Owl – possibly Tawny Owl or “Stone Owl”!!

Either way, the picture of the bird/stone, being so far away, is no better zoomed or cropped

Ah well, I can’t expect a Cuckoo every day, allthough I could pop down and buy a clock from  my local Swiss jewellers I suppose.
After a good birding spell I think ‘er in doors is looking at her hiking boots with fervour.
I bet my bins will gather dust for a day or three….. but you never know.













4 comments:

  1. I'm backing a little owl John, but I'm not the best gambler in the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will never know, with that poor photo.
    I need a big camera, one like yours Dave - but I do a lot of walking, so the weight and the £££££ put me off getting one.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work John doing the rounds !

    ReplyDelete