Monday 27 June 2016

Star Trek

13:30 - 18:15

Foreside Lane - Ovenden Moor - Ogden- Brockholes - Peat Pits - Bradshaw

I enjoyed a long hike this aft. It was unexpectedly windy on the moors but it calmed down becoming really pleasant late afternoon.
What started as a mediocre walk turned into a Star Trek.

Foreside Lane area held 4 Curlew, c10 Meadow Pipit, Swallow with Swifts zooming about all afternoon.
Over the moors I saw Curlew, Lapwing and Lesser Black-blacked Gull.
A look across to TMR (from afar) didn't do me much good as I could not ID much.
From Giant's Tooth, a Red Grouse was seen in flight and Chiffchaff was singing nearby.
In fact the conifers here had plenty of bird song.
2 Song Thrush about 20 yds apart were belting out their songs competing for Songs of Praise.
The majority of the other songs/calls were from birds high up in the conifers. I picked out a Coal Tit family, a Blue Tit and a couple of Chaffinch but the others were very high and I could not get a decent view.

Ogden:

The woods had the usual Robin and Wren.

Ogden Water had 4 small gulls, all BHG I think,4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls and 2 Oystercatcher.

Towards the Golf Club there where singing Willow Warbler, 2 Pheasant calling and 2 young Pheasant flushed from under my feet, giving me a start.

Beyond the maintenance buildings a few Linnet were calling and a couple of Pied Wagtail were feeding on the fairway.

I sat down on a stile to have my butties and watched a lone golfer crack a beauty,  out-of-bounds!
He was still looking for his ball after I'd had my sarnie and 2 choc biscuits.
Funnily enough, I found his ball on the main track as I was going home. I lobbed it back onto the fairway ( not sure if this is the done thing) but 'Tiger' had gone by then.

After my butties I retraced my steps thinking it was  another poor outing when a Whinchat came into view on the track.
I don't know if it’s me, but seeing the Whinchat really rocked my boat and made this a Star Trek – and a bonus of a long awaited tick.

There was another bonus of pr. Grey Partridge feeding on the fairway.
On the way home just House Martin and a couple of Pied Wagtail along with the usual sp.


A great day for me today.






??


Lightened


Cropped























Possible Stock Dove



Possible Stock Dove




No comments:

Post a Comment