Saturday 20 August 2016

Ogden


10:30 – 11:50

I enjoyed a trip to Ogden this morning. It was a bit wild and windy with intermittent, mainly light, showers.

There was nothing special about (that I could see anyway) but it was nice to get some fresh air and exercise.

There were c60 smaller gulls and 7 Lesser Black-backed Gulls or so, hereabouts with an few interesting Gulls. 
One with Pink (ish) legs that maybe a Herring Gull.

 A couple of Cormorant, one sat on the podium and another was constantly diving.
A Nuthatch called on the way around but I did not see the bird.


There were lots of Great and Blue Tits and Robin about and just a couple of Swallow.




My Gull  dilemma:

2 Large Gulls cropped from the earlier photo.
They look almost identical to me.
The one on the left though has Pink(ish) legs so I'm thinking Herring Gull
(The Herring Gulls seen at Whitby last week seemed  huge compared to this Gull)
The one on the right has Yellow Legs so I'm thinking Lesser Black-backed Gull.
But am I right (or am I taking utter bull!!)


























Spot the Goldfinch



(Or maybe a Lesser Black-backed Gull)

3 comments:

  1. The left hand LBB is a near adult which has still retained its pink legs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bri.
    I've a long way to go on Gull ID's.
    But I've the brand new "British Birds" book by Rob Hume (and others) to go with my Collins, and my new Helm Guide Bird Identification.... and still can't get 'em right.
    Ah well, at least someone id kind enough to put me straight.
    Thanks again.

    John

    ReplyDelete