Thursday 27 October 2016

Leeshaw, Leeming & Ogden


I enjoyed a trip out to Oxenhope this morning and called at Ogden on the way home.

The Oxenhope road at Denholme Salt Pile is closed so I had to go through Denholme to Trough Lane and along the road to the Dog & Gun Pub.

Leeshaw 11:50

It was a bit grim here, late morning, with a strong WSW wind blowing and squally showers now and again.
It was the quietest that I can remember, here today.

The water was completely bereft of birds on my arrival.
c60 Small Gulls were on the top corner shore with the Mallards and later the Gulls came and went onto the reservoir.
Also a few Lesser Black-backed Gull turned up.

A Cormorant and a Meadow Pipit completed a rough, blustery outing here.

Leeming 12:45

The weather improved a bit a Leeming, it was windy but dry.
4 fishermen were under the banking well bundled up enjoying their pastime.

Here again it was very quiet with just 4 small gulls, a few Mallard and Chaffinch, Great Tit & Blue Tit  seen on the way around.

Ogden 14:00 - 15:40

Ogden car park was busy and the weather was on the mend.
A very stiff breeze was blowing along the promenade.

This outing seemed to be heading in the same direction as the earlier reservoirs with nothing much seen on my first circuit, just the usual small Gulls and Mallards.

The second circuit improved things a lot with both Kingfisher and Dipper seen as I looked down from the promenade.

The wind, and maybe the crowds, were keeping passerine alley nearly bereft of birds. Just Robin, Blue and Great Tit seen here.

I did come across a small flock (c12) Goldfinch feeding in the West side Alders.
They were very high, and the light was such, that they were constantly in silhouette.
I was hoping to get a Siskin in amongst them but looking at the photos - some I've lightened a bit and one I have rotated to see the bird better - I think they are all Goldfinch!!

It was a bonus to bump into to B.S. starting the late afternoon shift as I was on my way to the car.

(hope you fared better that me Bri.) 

(It is school holidays and  have Abigail to stay tonight so I'll be Jigsaw man for a good while from now on).

Leeshaw:




Leeming:




Ogden:








A 'few' photos of Goldfinch in silhouette.












1 comment:

  1. Too many screaming kids to check the Goldfinch flock. Back to school next week but dark nights.

    ReplyDelete