Wednesday 18 January 2017

√Bradshaw - Soil Hill - Ogden - Bradshaw

10:45 - 15:15

An early start for me today, with John and Paul Royston Joiners, paying us a visit before 8 am it meant getting out of the sack at 6:45, so I could get the old make-up on. 

I am not a morning person, but we are always happy to see John and Paul two great joiners.

It was a better day today, less dull, but still dull.
I enjoyed a 4 and a half hours outing today.
On the way up to Soil Hill the Little Owl was in the its usual haunt.

Soil Hill was very quiet on my arrival.

c60 Starlings were in the fields to the west and 5 Meadow Pipit flew overhead.

Taking a walk over to the large turbine I failed to see anything.

Back on the East side, I heard Geese calling from the Queensbury area and thinking they might be within B.S.'s sight, phoned him.

By the time I'd got the telling bone out and dialled the number the Geese were rapidly approaching Soil Hill.

It's amazing how quick they are here then gone.
There were 46 Pink Footed Geese overhead >NW a real bonus.

A Kestrel was hovering over the west side and 3 Mallard types landed on the lower NK pond disappearing under the banking.
I hung around for a while but they did not come out into the open water.

Another bonus was my first of 2017, high flying and singing Skylark - Soil Hill is on the way up.

A Heron flew over dropping down to Thornton as I made my way to Ned Hill Track.

Not a lot seen from Ned Hill Track to Ogden Back Lane, just a Pheasant or 3 and c40 Starling.

During my butty break, sitting on Back Lane Wall, a flock of UNID's had me scrambling for the camera - in the process I had to sacrifice half a butty, that I'd knocked off the wall, into some S**T. 

(Strange place to find SALT).

The birds were Pigeon sized but they did not fly like Woodpigeon.

A Weasel made a brief appearance on a wall nearby, perhaps it later had half a butty for lunch.

C30 Fieldfare > SW as I enjoyed a couple of plumbs for dessert.

12:50 Ogden.

Ogden Water held c120 small gulls and 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull as far as I could make out.

Also here were two 'mega hikers' Dave W and Dave M.

Enjoyed the chat Dave(s) -(I didn't get the Kingfisher either, on my second lap).

I had a slow saunter around  the water and I was pleased to pick out a Nuthatch just through the metal kissing gate on the west of the promenade.

At the next corner a forced prostate interval was rewarded with the sighting of a Treecreeper and 3 Goldcrest.

One Goldcrest in particular was very aero-dynamic  fluttering in mid air for insects. I tried hard to turn it into a Firecrest but couldn't.

14:15

Leaving Ogden via the steep path towards Union Lane, 6 Goldfinch were in the trees behind the reservoir house and 6 Long Tailed Tit were in the trees beyond the stream bridge.

That was it really, just a large flock of c200 Starlings, that made a brief appearance, as I looked west at Ingham Lane top.

Quite a pleasant day out, and I didn't get wet.
















This bird was keeping apart from the others but I think its a Mallard






The best photo of 12 or so taken of this fast moving Nuthatch



This (Common Gull I think) had caught something and was flying high into the air and dropping it onto the water - presumable to break it open.


Black Headed Gull with ring




A poor photo of a Long Tailed Tit


Robin of the day






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the call John, did,nt hear anything over the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit difficult to hear Geese I guess, when you working hard inside , Bri.
    A bit livelier today on Soil Hill, gives us something to look forward to.

    John

    ReplyDelete