Sunday 23 April 2017

Bradshaw to Hebden Bridge Hike

10:10 .....

Update 21:35 I think the 2 Geese are Whooper Swans.

With a beautiful day in prospect and nasty cold stuff forecast from tomorrow 'till Thursday we decided to make the most of the day and walk from home to Hebden Bridge.

A long hike, and although I'd got the camera and bins around 'me neck, I found that stopping to bird watch, soon left me lagging behind, Sue and Stuart,  and then having to leg it to catch up!

We followed the usual route:

Bradshaw Farm Track, Cow Hill Gate Lane, Per Lane, Brocholes, Stod Fold, Hunter Hill (phew).

Across the road and past the bungalow here to drop down to past through the old yard of the Moorcock pub (as was 30 years ago?).

Across the moors near Wainstalls and down past the Hullet to Jerusalem Farm.
A right, up the road for the long uphill past Clough House and Fernley Lee Farm.
Along the moorland path, eventually looking over to Castle Carr estate on the other valley.


A left turn past shooting butts, another left across the moors eventaully reaching the watershed and some long awaited down hill.

Down hill now to arrive at the Hare and Hounds at Billy Lane.. Old Town.

Then follow the road down into Hebden Bridge.


Birds:

Plenty of birdsong throughout the walk.
Birds of the day were Wheatear with perhaps as many as 6 seen in different areas.
Curlew, Nuthatch, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Lapwing, Wheatear, Heron, Linnet.
2 Geese > W. I think they are Greylag Geese, but I am not sure.

Entering the realms of fantasy now ... Thinking Snow Goose!!

The Geese may by Swans ..... Still checking the photos!!

Pr. Sparrowhawk and a Raven (heard but not seen).


and lots of other sp.

A great day out.

To be on the 'safe side' I have not revealed the location of the raptors (Sparrowhawks I believe) and Corvid - Carrion Crow most prob. photo's seen at the end of this blog.





Bradshaw Fields


Falling behind already



Hunter (the Killer) Hill


On Hunter Hill


2nd on Hunter Hill


My meerkat impression - pretty good eh?




Above Jerry Farm




Chiffchaff enjoying a sunny Jerry Farm





Willow Warbler


The Pr. Geese - Greylag I believe??




Neck 'too light' for Egyptian Geese!!
Snow goose is now in my head - no hope for me.



Castle Carr Estate








All down hill now and still I'm behind





A pair of Sparrowhawk (I believe)  being mobbed by a Corvid - Carrion Crow most prob.













4 comments:

  1. Greylags John - right first time !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave.
    Birds on the deck are difficult enough for me .... In flight well.. I'm on shaky "ground".
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Wheatear shot John or is it a Meerkat haha

    ReplyDelete