Friday 15 September 2017

√Local Walk and Ogden Little Egret

11:05 - 14:45 - Local Walk

After a few days without the walking boots on I managed to escape the 4 walls and have a good scout around the local area today.

A cold NNW breeze at first but the day improved as the walk progressed.

Bradshaw Park had 2 Pied Wagtail and the small pond had a Moorhen and Pr Mallard, 8 Swallow were here also.

I followed the Calderdale Way path to Holdsworth Caravan Site.

A Chaffinch and a few Goldfinch were seen.

I manged to get something of note when I picked out a very distant Stonechat on a field wall.
The bird was constantly flicking it's tail as it moved from wall to wall -always keeping it's distance alas.

In the small copse near Holdsworth there were 3 Long Tailed Tit seen, a Jay and a Woodpigeon.

I turned left to pass behind the factory heading for Oats Royd.

It's been a while since I've been down here.

3 Moorhen, 2 Jay, Sparrowhawk, 4 Coal Tit and a nice spot with a very Yellow looking Willow Warbler or Chiffchaff.
I fairly sure it'a a Willow Warbler.

A Bullfinch called but I did not find it.

On the return route a Heron took flight and there were a few Rook knocking about.

Just one Black Headed Gull, one Common Gull and One Lesser Black-backed Gull were seen!

A Kestrel was resting on a wall.

A Pr. very flighty Goldcrest (aren't they always) made getting any sort of photograph of them hard work.

A walk up past Bonnet Hall proved a good move with a M. Sparrowhawk nearly taking my nose end off as I disturbed it.
It left in a rush it's slate grey back very visible.

Looking towards Soil Hill a large flock (possibly as many as 100) small birds took flight.

They settled on some Thistle tops (by the looks of the plants) - must have been 500yds or more away.
I think they were Goldfinch - can't think of anything else they could have been.

A Little Owl was on a field wall with a few Meadow Pipits.

A few UNID's , very distant, were frustrating.

Over 3 and a half hours birding today, an enjoyable(if a bit short of birds) outing.

The Stonechat being top of the pops for me.

I timed the weather just right, dry all day until it poured down as I got in home.

Ogden:

I had just got the boots off and was having a coffee when I got a text message from B.S. alerting me of a Little Egret on Ogden(earlier found by V.J.).

I've not had much success at Ogden this year so I headed off to see if I could get a picture of it.

A text to B.S. pointed me in the right direction and after a good soaking I manged to get some decent photographs.

I reckon there were c130 Gulls here and I did get a Kingfisher zooming past through the first 'inlet' as I headed north, on the east side path.

I was in big, big trouble with Sue though - I had not put Abigail's tea on!

"Let them eat cake" - is what I said.....
... (as I cowered beneath the rolling pin).

Thanks for the text Bri and well done Vicki.

Nice to bump into D.J.S. - sorry Dave, I always seem to be rushing off as soon as you appear - no offence meant!!






First mega distant unid.




Stonechat




One of 3 Oats Royd fishing pools.


Coal Tit


Coal Tit  I think - although some odd colour on the flanks.


Second Mega Distant Unid.
Probably a Meadow Pipit.


Willow Warbler





"Best" photo of about 10 of this Goldcrest



c100 Goldfinch



Little Owl


Little Egret First sighting in the downpour







And now a picture wearing my wedding hat.



No comments:

Post a Comment