Tuesday 12 December 2017

√Brighouse Canal/ River and L.N.R.

11:15 - 14:00

A trip down to Brighouse to escape the snow fields of Bradshaw today.

One more day of this cold stuff before a temporary thaw apparently.

A bit more 'refined' walking today along the canal with a short diversion to look at the river and the L.N.R feeding station before retracing my steps.

4 Cormorant flew N as I got out of the car in the centre of Brighouse, also hereabout 2 Pied Wagtail.

Along the Canal:-

A dead Mallard was laying on the frozen canal.

Mistle Thrush, 2 Moorhen,2 Canada Geese on the river with  5 Canada Geese feeding further along that were joined by another 8 later.
Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Blue & Great Tit, Bullfinch heard but not seen.

A Heron was below the weir, just before the Avocet works.

8 Cormorant were on the pylon by the fishing ponds.

3 Swan flew over very distant. For a moment I though they were Whoopers but they were Mute Swans.

Just Black Headed and Common Gulls, 4 Mute Swan and a Moorhen were on the ski lake as far as I could tell through the large metal fence.

A Great Spotted Woodpecker called 3 times from nearby, but I did not eyeball it.

L.N.R. Feeding Station:

The very well stocked feeding area was quite busy:-

Robin, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit,Chaffinch, Jay.
Speedy Nuthatch, M & F Bullfinch and Reed Bunting.

On the return leg I decided to eat my butties on the hoof.
As I walked along pulling the butty bag from my rucksack a Robin followed close by.
I put some bread on my hand and the Robin landed on my hand and took it!!
(No, not my hand - the bread).

The river was quiet, but on the return leg I was treated to the sight of 2 M. Teal, seen in the darkness, under the river banking.

An enjoyable stroll and a welcome change of scenery.










Spot the Heron



Robin of the Day


















No comments:

Post a Comment