Friday 19 January 2018

√Bradshaw - Soil Hill - Ogden - Bradshaw

10:25 - 13:15

Some more snow to shift this morning, but a big improvement on yesterday.
Another day of snow showers and some sunshine with the showers less frequent that yesterday, especially in the morning.

 It was great to get my walking boots on, after not getting out yesterday - sad or what?

Lots of snow covered fields meant that I did not expect to see much on the way to Soil Hill, but the scenery was pleasant.

I took a look for the Little Owl in 2 of it's favourite haunts and came up trumps seeing a Little Owl from Bradshaw Lane and the second Little Owl from Taylor Lane.

I've thought that I'd read somewhere they were Originally from Canada but they do not appear on the list of Canadian birds.
Searching t'internet they may be from Italy, anyway I didn't think they would be too bothered by a little bit of snow.

Soil Hill track and Ned Hill Track were both deep in snow so I kept to the road as I headed on to Ogden.

Very, very windy up here and the snow was drifting,blown about.

Just Corvids and a Collard Dove seen along the way,

Along Ogden Lane, Tits were on the very apex of conifers, calling to one another.

A few Greenfinch, Chaffinch and a pr. Collard Dove seen along the lane.

A circuit of the water did not produce much.
The path is ok on the west side but a quagmire along the east side.

A pleasant surprise awaited me at the NE intake pond, where a Dipper was feeding.

I guess Dippers will be nesting soon.

Lots of snow showers on the way home, making photography awkward.

A pretty Goldfinch charm were in a conifer as I approached Ingham Lane.

Bradshaw Park was very quiet.

Lots of wet clothing  to get dry, but an enjoyable few hours in the fresh air.









Taylor Lane




Drifting Snow



Soil Hill Main Track


Ned Hill Track


Snow flurry over Halifax





Ogden Water


Spot the Dipper




Carrion Crow


Or possibly a Rook?


Goldfinch


2 comments:

  1. Saw you from a distance this morning John. You were looking down from the promenade towards the outfall. You didn't look impressed and soon moved on. I was just down the main road from 'The Moorlands' as a heavy snow flurry came in !
    Nice one with the Dipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Dave.
    Yep I remember that snow flurry.
    Hard to see the bottom of the outfall normally, never mind in the snow shower.
    I got some more photos of the Dipper, but when I checked them, the focus was on the foliage behind the bird.
    Too dark at max focus for the camera to decide what the blazes I'm trying to photo!
    (No Shelduck either)! But grand to be out and about.
    John

    ReplyDelete