Saturday 24 February 2018

√Shibden Park / Bradshaw - Ogden Circular

Shibden Park

We took Abigail and Emma to Shibden Park this morning.
The usual birds were here:-
Black Headed Gull, Coot, Moorhen, Canada Geese, Mute Swan.
While the girls were on the green train I had a nosy about and I was rewarded with a Treecreeper.

Bradshaw - Ogden circular 14:40 - 17:25

An afternoon with the Stonechat family.

The usual walk through the Bradshaw Farms to Ned Hill Road bottom, and around Ogden Water.
Back via the plantation , Coal Lane Ned Hill Track etc.
I had a chance meeting with a lady photographer, with a strange request, as I went around Ogden.
Ah - a birder - you'll know this.
"Do you know any good Rabbit Warrens around here?" was the question!
She said she was trying to get special photos of Rabbits.
The lady was in my age bracket, alas - no Bunny Girl!

I had another enjoyable chat with a farmer from Wainstalls as I passed the threshing machine on Percy Road.

Birds:-

The Bradshaw Farm track was good.
Little Owl, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk all seen within a few minutes from home.
Then a real bonus with a Pr. Stonechat on the gorse bushes beyond East View Farm.

15:20 Ogden.

Usual Gulls on the water, as far as I could tell.
I have one pic. that I need to check out - Herring Gull I think.
Canada Geese and Mallards with a bonus of a Nuthatch on the feeders.

Just Robin, Blackbird, Goldfinch and Goldcrest seen on the circuit.

12 Fieldfare >N as I went through the plantation.

I avoided Soil Hill top due to the severity of the ESE gale.
Ned Hill Track was sheltered from the wind and in the sunshine very pleasant indeed.
It was even more pleasant when 4 Stonechat made an appearance flitting about on the walls and fence posts.

The gale returned with a vengeance , as I left Ned Hill Track.

A tractor appeared as I went down Taylor Lane and the resulting Sheep movement , (they ran down the field - hoping for some jock) disturbed c12 Skylark - a real surprise.

Shibden Park:





Bradshaw / Odgen:






Probably a Herring Gull




The bird is too distant for the cropped pic to improve the image.










No comments:

Post a Comment