Saturday 17 February 2018

√Soil Hill and a touch of Birdsong

15:40 - 17:00

A late evening stroll, from Bradshaw, up to and around Soil Hill today, looking for Snow B.

Taylor Lane had a few Common Gulls and the Little Owl was on a field wall.

Wexford 'Larry' was coming off the Hill after a visit to Pule Hill, on the same hunt as I was.
He had not seen much up here alas.

The resident Common Gull was on the underground reservoir.
I went across the east side and I was fortunate to flush a flock of c10 birds.
At least 2 were Skylark, from their calling card, they may all have been Skylark in fact.
There was no 'Meadow Pipit, call and no 'flimsy' flight pattern as the bird left together with purpose.

The lower NK pond held a very, very distant Heron.

Another Skylark sang with a very short burst, before c8 or so birds flushed as I approached Ned Hill Track.

A real bonus for me, birdsong on the Hill, with Soil Hill being a bit of a graveyard this winter.

2 dogs came tearing over the hill, one barking like mad, I thought my number was up!
A few moments later their owners appeared and told me that the dogs bark was worse that its bite.
Fortunately I had my brown jeans on.

4 Mallard flew towards Soil Hill as I walked along Percy.

A Kestrel was seen from Bradshaw Lane and another lovely sound greeted me - a singing Blackbird in the big tree opposite our house.

A rewarding hour or so.













No comments:

Post a Comment