Sunday 22 April 2018

Pugney's Park - Wakefield


We enjoyed a run out to Pugney's with Abigail and her dad this morning.
Abigail and her dad with Sue had a cycle / walk around the lake while I had a quick gander with the bins and camera.

It was windy in places with clouds appearing from the west.
We made it to the café before the rain finally caught up with us.

A warbler sang from behind one of the hides, with a song that I did not recognise.
A gentleman birder, in the hide,ID'd it as a Cetti's Warbler and told me that I'd be very lucky to see it in the deep undergrowth.

I waited about a short while (time being limited today) but I did not locate the bird, although it did sing a couple of times more.
So, this potential Lifer will have to wait until another day.

I then got my Warblers completely confused.
I heard a Reed Warbler (did not eyeball this either!) and told said birding gent that I might have heard a Dartford Warbler,
He wasn't impressed DOH.

(I donned my waterproofs and sloped off, feeling a right Clot).
(Does  this sort of mistake happen to other birders - or is just me?)

The usual birds were here:

Swan, Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Cormorant, Heron.
Canada Geese,Pied Wagtail,
A few Black Headed Gull - no Terns that I could see.

The bushes near the car park held Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler at I spotted a couple of Blackcap as well.

4 or so, high, hirundines looked like Martins to me but which ones I could not say?

One of the Tufted Duck had the look of a Scaup.


Some (not too great photographs):-








??











Mega distant Martin?


Cropped - no better.



Spot the Blackcap









No comments:

Post a Comment