Monday 2 July 2018

Hot Strides

15:00 - 19:00

Foreside Lane , Ogden, Rocks Road, Bradshaw

A tough walk today on another scorcher.
Sue dropped me at Foreside Lane and I had a meander about for a good while.
At least the huge boggy field on the way across to Ogden has dried up completely.

Birds:-

With the afternoon heat, the birds understandably are keeping  a low profile, so any sightings are to be appreciated.
John chapter:1 verse: 29.


Foreside Lane to Ogden:

Swallow, Lesser Black-backed Gull, 3 Curlew, Meadow Pipit.
A Reed Bunting, calling, remained incognito.
Pr. Partridge, flushed, left hurriedly. with very Red/Brown end of tail feathers, were probably Red Legged Partridge.
5 Linnet, c6 Goldfinch on Thistles.
Kestrel.

Ogden Area:

Disappointing really.I can never understand why, given copious deciduous woodland in places, there is such a lack of woodland birds here.

Approaching Ogden I crossed Back Lane and arrived at the perimeter wall where a faint call greeted me.
It sounded like a distant hunger call of a Great Spotted Woodpecker.
I went down to the stile, through the wall, and up the other side, following the path in the woods to its demise at the beginning of the moor, but , I never heard the call again.

The Ogden circuit had a calling Willow Warbler and the reservoir area held c100 Gulls (I counted 98!).

There were 18 Lesser Black-backed Gulls out on the water

The remaining Gulls were on the Gazza Strip or west bank in bright sunshine.

The bright reflection was such that it was very difficult to ascertain the number of Black Headed and Lesser Black-backed that were here.

A Chiffchaff sang as I walked down to the golf course.

I headed off up to Rocks Road (giving the Mixenden footpath area a miss today).

A Mistle Thrush watched me aim the camera towards it before sodding off during shutter press

A Great Spotted Woodpecker called from here as well.

Moan, moan, moan - this weather is too hot - I've been hearing from the chaps in the Moorlands Inn.

Not for me though - there will be lots of rain, wind and snow, soon enough.

Looking about me now, even the fields mown!















No comments:

Post a Comment