Wednesday 24 August 2016

St. Annes second holiday


We enjoyed another short break with Emma and Abigail in St. Anne’s recently.
The weather was a real mixed bag with torrential rain, wind, showers and it ended up lovely calm and sunny – a typical English seaside holiday.

I did a little bit better with the birding this time around taking note of the high tide times and managing to slope off for an hour when the tide was in.

I was still not happy with the distance between me and the Waders and Terns so the photos are still a bit ‘iffy’.

There were ‘thousands’ of waders here with large flocks coming and going along the water’s edge.

It would have been nice to get a lot closer to ID them better, but the outing was for  Emma and Abigail’s benefit but I am satisfied with what I managed to see none the less.

I am beginning to realise that I most probably need a good SLR camera to get better photos.

However, I enjoy most of my birding  whilst I’m out walking - on average maybe walking 4 hours at a stint – so the weight of an SLR is too prohibitive.

 I’ll guess I’ll have to try and get a bit nearer my subject if I want some better photos!

A few pics:-




Sanderling


Sanderling & Dunlin







I originally thought this was a Twite but I think it is a Linnet







These 2 Terns seem to have a black bill with a yellow tip - Sandwich Tern?
















Lots of Terns feeding - but way too far off for me to ID







It must be possible to get closer to the Waders - this lady was out walking her dog near them






P1270613 St Annes Terns In Flight from Bradshaw Rambler on Vimeo.
P1270522 St Annes Sanderling from Bradshaw Rambler on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment