Saturday 16 December 2017

√Local Stroll and Interesting News

14:10 - 16:00

I enjoyed a local stroll, late afternoon,after decorating the Christmas Tree with Abigail and Emma.
They looked a bit lonely, sitting there by themselves, so we added some Christmas Lights and baubles.

A Cold walk - especially cold on the top of Soil Hill.
But then as a bloke said to me at the Raggalds - it is winter you know - well nearly.

Raggalds Flood was frozen stiff and was bereft of birds.

A look north from here revealed a distant Kestrel on a power line.

Percy Road looked a tad slippy, but it had, had some grit treatment.

A good look for Snow Bunting on Soil Hill proved futile with just the odd crow about.But I haven't given up hope for a A Snow Bunt yet.

The lower NK pond was frozen stiff and I could not make out any birds on the lower Shay fields.

Ned Hill track had a few small Gulls > South.

A long enjoyable chat with a local farmer proved enlightening. 
He told me he had been looking at pair of Short Eared Owls last evening.
I mentioned that they might have been Little Owls - he was not impressed with this statement.
"I know a B. Little Owl when I see one - we've B. loads up here" was his reply.

A second Kestrel was feeding near the White Cottage on Percy Road.

The Taylor Lane and Bradshaw Little Owls came into sight after giving their usual haunts some severe looking at.

Taylor Lane was a skating rink for the most part.

I just got back in time to accompany Sue to take Emma and Abigail home, and, call at Queensbury's Tesco's for some more Christmas Shopping.
I will be getting very fat, if all this grub is for me.

A M. Goosander was on the Calder as we crossed Sowerby Bridge this morning.




Raggalds Flood




Cool - Robin of the day.










Taylor Lane



2 comments:

  1. Wow some cracking landscape shots there John, the turbine shot is mint, well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave.
    I liked the shot as well.
    Hope you are in good nick for Christmas
    John

    ReplyDelete