Thursday 22 March 2018

√Elland to Sowerby Bridge and back, and Foreside Lane to Bradshaw

It was pleasing to see 'in excess' of 30 Redwing on Saville Park fields as we passed on this mornings visit to Sue's dad.

Elland to Sowerby Bridge and Back 11:15 - 15:00

We had a stroll along the canal towpath to Sowerby Bridge from Elland and back today.
A tad colder than I had hoped for.
I was hoping for a lot of spring birds as well.
Maybe a singing Chiffcaff but the outing proved to be a bit of a flop.

A couple of Roe Deer were one of the highlights.
The other highlight being a £3.60 full breakfast at the Wharf Café!

Some strange pencils on wooden plaques on tree stumps, along the canal,had us beat.

Birds:-

Goosanders:- 2 pr and a single Male.
Great Spotted Woodpecker calling.
Moorhen and a few other sp.

Foreside Lane to Bradshaw 15:40 - 17:25

Sue dropped me at Foreside Lane where I was hoping for an early Wheatear but one was not forthcoming.

Cold here even with some south in the wind direction.

I had a good wander around a couple of bridleways before heading home via Keighley Road, Coal Lane,Ned Hill Track etc.

Birds:-

Curlew were calling throughout the Foreside Lane area.
Possible 6 birds.

Pheasant, 8 Meadow Pipit, Lapwing in twos here and there.
Heron > Ogden.

Distant unid which is most probably a Woodpigeon, although I was thinking Raptor when I first eyeballed it.

2 Skylark.

Possible Golden Plover's 'lament' heard from the moors (but I'm not familiar with the call - but I couldn't think what else it could be).

Coal Lane: Curlew, Large Gulls calling overhead.

Ned Hill Track: 4 Herring Gull.


Elland - Sowerby Bridge:









Foreside Lane to Bradshaw:

















2 comments: