Thursday 29 March 2018

Foreside Lane & Pugneys Park Wakefield

Foreside Lane 10:25 - 11:15 (ish).

A short, but enjoyable, visit this morning to the Foreside lane area looking for Wheatear but without success.

A few head scratchers came along as well.

The usual birds were hereabouts.

Reed Bunting,Skylark, Meadow Pipit in encouraging numbers, Curlew, Kestrel.

A pr. of very large waders, flying high and fast NNE.
They obviously looked like Curlew but the call was more Gull-like.
I managed a mega distant photo.
The call has thrown me and there is a pale area on the underwing.
I cannot find this pale area on any of my bird book Curlew photos?

Also, I possibly flushed a Jack Snipe, although its a bit late on in the season?
The  bird did have a very, very faint call and rose 20ft(?) then landed soon with a quick 45 degress angled dash to the ground - who knows.

I have always been interested in birds, but given my time again, I would have given more time to the subject, especially bird calls.
The camera, however, is a great help.
Because of the distance I like to walk, I am limited by the weight of the camera , that I can carry and therefore have to be satisfied with a lightweight bridge camera, rather than a large SLR.

Pugneys.

A shopping trip for Sue to Batley mills where, hallelujah, she managed to nab a pair of £80 leather boots for £27.00!!

We had a look around Pugneys after the bargain of the year.

The weather was poor - dull with frequent showers.

Birds:-

A Green Woodpecker called constantly for 10 mins or so but I did not eyeball it.
A Chiffchaff was singing and I managed to get a photo and a 2 second video!  - my first Chiffchaff of the year.

Others:-
Goldeneye, Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Black Headed-Gull, Cormorant, Heron, Herring Gull, Chiffchaff, Jay, c20 Pied Wagtail, Mistle Thrush.

A possible Shoveler was seen but I think it's maybe a Shoveler / Mallard cross or some hybrid.

Wishing you a very Happy Easter.....
Top Tip: Don't put the snow shovel away, just yet.

Foreside Lane:






Probably Curlew


Pale area on the underwing.

Pugneys:

























Hybrid?








Large calling Gulls - Herring Gulls?





Great to see Chiffchaff back




No comments:

Post a Comment