Wednesday 9 May 2018

Am I loosing the plot?



Rocks Lane, Ogden to home.

15:00 - 18:25

Sue dropped me at Rocks Road this afternoon, so she could have an uninterrupted time making chutneys.
While she was Chutney-ing I was seeing a strange bird on Ogden Golf Course.

It was a dull afternoon, quite windy at times, and it rained for the last hour or so.

I had a good nosey around the track behind the Golf Maintenance Buildings and the rough area here.

I was looking for Whinchat but did not locate one alas.

Lots of bird songs and calls but not many photos really.

Birds:-

Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting calling.
Curlew calling.
Whitethroats calling.
Dare I say in - possible Tree Pipit!
The 'second' Pipit left a tree and in the middle of the call a 'chip,chip" could be heard.
2 Red Legged Partridge flushed.
A cracking Wheatear, which, funnily enough, I though was a Whinchat at first.
Kestrel over, Willow Warbler and Mistle Thrush.

The walk from the Golf course to and around Ogden was disappointing.

Swallows, Mallards and 3 Lesser Black Backed Gull.

From Ogden to Home via Soil Hill was wet and again not a lot about.

Large Gulls over, Curlew, Willow Warbler.
Poss. Chiffchaff.

Loosing it:

Whilst I was moseying around the golf course track a large (Magpie sized) bird flew over the fairway,
It called twice, a raucous call.
The flight was low, erratic, untidy.
The bird was angular, like a large Tern.
Unfortunately the bird was in shadow and by the time I'd woken up I just got one picture, but missed it!
The bird left SSE.
I immediately though Bee-eater.
I hope someone else may have seen it, or I may be heading for the funny farm.

I don't suppose a Bee-eater had been recorded in Calderdale?


Pipit No1 Golf Course




*****


Pipit No 2 - Golf Course
(Could of course be the same bird)
Excuse the pun.




The Mystery bird Pic.
I can't see it though!













Soil Hill Pipit











3 comments:

  1. 22:00
    I've found a bird in the picture.
    10% in from the left in the middle - a white dot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bee-eater has been recorded in Calderdale John, a few years ago. Always a possibility, how about Ring-necked Parakeet ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave.
    NK reports a Parakeet at Queensbury on his blog yesterday so maybe the same bird.
    Ta for the comment
    John

    ReplyDelete