Wednesday 14 November 2018

The grass is always greener

I was looking forward to seeing some 'good birds' in the Halifax area this morning.

I had 4 hours to kill while my Hyundai I10 was given a once over to try and diagnose an intermittent fault with its starting  system, while the car is still under warranty.


Alas, the computer scratched it's head, ummed and aahed but could not make a decision.


I'll 'have to keep and eye on it' apparently.


I went to Peoples Park to start with. 

A first time here for me, and a pretty place it is too.

Then a stroll up to Kings Cross and down the moor and through Scar Wood to the Birdcage Lane area.

My return journey took me through Manor Heath Park, across Saville Park and eventually back to the Pellon Lane Garage.

It was wild and windy throughout the outing.

I was surprized by the strength on the wind here, especially on Saville Park and the Birdcage Lane Area.

Birds:-

Pretty disappointing, the wind a major factor no doubt.

People Park:

Double figure Blackbirds.
2 Mistle Thrush.
1 Bullfinch.
Goldfinch, Starlings.
A Brown Rat scurried under the bushes.

Elsewhere:

Saville Park had a 10 Pied Wagtails at one side and a group of 33 Pied Wagtails on the other side.

Scar Wood and Birdcage Lane were very windy with not a lot about.

A detour around Old Crossleyands R.U. Club found a pair of Jay.

Not a lot to show for a long outing.

Just goes to show that when you think the grass is greener - it aint!!

A case of mistaken ID:

Part way through my walk, I made a visit to a shop for a Kit-Kat for elevenses.
The shopkeeper told me that she had caught a poorly looking bird in Halifax town centre,in the middle of the food show, 2 weeks ago.

She said that she rang the vets and then took the bird to them.
The vet told here that the bird was:-
'A fledgling Goldfinch' and if she released it in the same area, once the 'food crowds' had gone - it would find it's 'parents'

She showed me a picture of the bird taken on her phone.

A adult Goldcrest!












No comments:

Post a Comment