Thursday 11 April 2019

Skipton and Foreside Lane, Denholme to Bradshaw

2 Curlew over the house was a nice surprize as we left home for Skipton this morning.

Skipton:

A visit to the Skipton shops this morning but first we had a short walk through Skipton Woods.

Another very sunny, but cool, day.

Birds:

2 Pr.Grey Wagtail, A few Nuthatch, Song Thrush and a Song Thrush on a nest was about it.

Oh! and Maid Marrion.

Foreside Lane to Bradshaw:

14:30 - 17:00

Sue dropped me at Foreside Lane on our way home from Skipton.
Cool but very sunny. I thought I'd noticed some South in the wind direction at one point, but maybe I was imagining it?

I went home via Back Lane, The Plantation, Coal Lane, Ned Hill Track, Percy and Taylor Lane.
I enjoyed a brief chat with Larry D. on Taylor Lane.

Birds:

Always something interesting on the Foreside Lane to Ogden Back Lane path.

First bird up was a mega distant Wheatear.
A good number of Curlew about including a pair mating.
Lots of Meadow Pipit, Lapwing, Skylark.
Pr. Reed Bunting - always great to see.
A Snipe flushed silently as I negotiated the big bog field.

I'm just designing some lightweight, bio-degradable, disposable Galoshes to lob over me boots for my next visit here after rain.

Partridge:

A pr. Partridge flushed from nearby, early on, fairly silently without a call.
A second pr. Partridge ran away to hide in the reeds a little further along.
I guess I got both Grey and Red Legged here, but they are off too quick to get a photo, alas.

Ogden Back Lane, Plantation:

Coal Tit, Stock Dove, Curlew.

Coal Lane - Ned Hill Track - Home:

Pr. Pheasant, Stock Dove, c10 Meadow Pipit, 2 Kestrel, Greenfinch.
Little Owl.

At the bottom of the Bonnet I eyeballed a very distant pr. Buzzard. very high > West, leisurely.

So a Pr. Curlew to start the day and a pr. Buzzard to end - not bad for Bradshaw Lane.

Skipton:







Foreside Lane to Bradshaw:






Spot the Snipe

















2 comments:

  1. Like the top shot of the M P John. How the leg colour changes depending on the light !!Also good to see the long hind claw of the MP as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave.
    One leg looks almost transparent!
    Hope I get a similar photo of a Tree Pipit, later on.
    I reckon next Wednesday will be 'big move' day for birds from the south.
    John

    ReplyDelete