Friday 29 July 2016

Ponden – Lower Laithe – Leeshaw (poss Yellow Legged Herring gull)


Following yesterdays poor pictures of a ‘possible’ Common Scoter at Ponden I went up there again this morning to see if I could locate it.

Top Tip:

Avoid the Thornton Road  - Denholme Gate Road junction – 4 way lights.


On the way to Ponden 3 Weasels ran across the road in single file!

Ponden: 10:10

I took a long walk along the road to the end of the reservoir and the nearest I came to a Scoter was a dark coloured Mallard Hybrid!

Birds:

Cormorant, Heron, Mallard, Greylag Goose.
A Mallard with a lot of white on it threw me for a while before I realised the white is foam.

Lower Laithe: 10:50

The usual crowd of Black Headed Gull were on the valve tower.
I had a scan but did not find any Med Gull.
The water was deserted.

Leeshaw 11:00 – 12:00

There was a bit more life here than at the other 2 reservoirs.

A possible Yellow Legged Herring Gull was on the banking eating a young bird - but knowing my Gull ID record it’s most probably a Lesser Black-backed Gull.
I’ve posted a few photos – just in case!!

C60 Greylag Geese, c10 Canada Geese, 2 Heron, Kestrel (far off on a wall).

2 Curlew, 4 Lapwing overhead.

Ponden:







Lower Laithe:



Leeshaw 11:00 - 12:00








Size comparison with Black Headed gull




A bit of shore line showing


Spot the Kestrel







2 comments:

  1. Thats right John, thats the 3rd summer YL that been hanging around a couple of weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonders never cease Bri - I've actually got a correct Gull ID!!
    I reckon I'm 50% colour blind - I find LBBG and Herring Gulls very difficult to ID.
    Thanks for the comment on the "Scoter!" as well!
    Cheers
    John


    ReplyDelete