Friday 24 February 2017

Stonking SNOW BUNTING Ringy Top and Bradshaw - Soil Hill - Ogden - Mixenden - Bradshaw

9:40 - 14:15

Bradshaw: 

A better day by far today with lots of sunshine and broken cloud.
It was quite cold in the WNW wind on Soil Hill  though.

Walking up Taylor Lane a Little Owl was on a field wall.
Soil Hill had a digger laying comms. cable down the side of the main track.
I dropped some Nyjer Seed on a breezy Soil Hill where just 8 or so Skylarks entertained me.

Ned Hill Track had two Cock Pheasant sparring.
The plantation had a few Woodpigeon and a couple of Pheasant.

Ogden Water was quiet with 21 Canada Geese and c60 Small Gulls, so I decided to continue and walk on to Mixenden Reservoir.

A M. Bullfinch was in the trees at the back of Ogden Water Reservoir house.
Brook House Farm had a singing Song Thrush.
The field below Hunter Hill turned out to be very busy.

Over the stile and a Mistle Thrush was feeding with 4 Fieldfare and a Redwing but a scan to my right revealed c60 Fieldfare with a few more Redwing.

A Phesaant was seen on the track to Mixenden Reservoir.


12:15 Mixenden Reservoir.

The top west side gate it padlocked, so I had to climb over it.
Immediately through the gate - I got my first tick in a while - as 2 Goldeneye swam quickly away into the sun.

I did a circuit of the reservoir and the Goldeneye managed to keep as far away from me as possible on the water.
16 Canada Geese and c100 small gulls were hereabouts.
Walking along the highest banking I noticed that there were 3 Goldeneye, diving constantly at the far side near the bushes.

Eventually all the birds were on the water at the same time and there was actually 2 M and 2 F Goldeneye present.

I retraced my steps to Lane Head and then followed the Calderdale Way along Per Lane, Cow Hill Gate Lane passing Ingham Lane top to turn right along the farm road below Ned Hill Road.

The walk home was a tad disappointing with just a Mistle Thrush, Tits , Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Goldfinch seen.

2 Meadow Pipit were lively in the fields, but no Little Owl in the usual spot.
Horses in this field were kicking at each others so maybe the Little Owl had moved off.

It was a fair old enjoyable hike today, cool and sunny just right for walking....... and about to get a whole lot better...

Snow Bunting:

After a long day out walking, I was getting this blog together when I got a text from B.S. reporting a Snow Bunting found by DJS on Ringby Top.

I jumped in the car and rushed across to Swalesmoor hoping that I would get there in time.

DJS was coming down the track opposite the swimming pool and he told me that B.S. was on the top of the hill.

I rushed up the hill, panting like billy-o by the time I got to the top.

B.S. waved so I knew where to head for.
He pointed out the bird. 
It was remarkably tame, allowing us to get very close without much bother.

I got some great views and pics of a real stonking Snow Bunting that looked like it was part way to it summer plumage.
Thanks to B.S. for the text and top marks to Hawkeye DJS for the sighting.

A real smile producing outing .... great.
I rushed off back home and ..

As I walked through the door at home, the phone rang and Sue asked me to put tea on for her and Abigail - no problem - timing or what!!










Ned Hill Track




Leaving Ogden Golf Course for Lane Head


Spot the Mistle Thrush


Track to Stod Fold


Hunter Hill in the distance




Some distant photo of Goldeneye:-








Robin of the day




Bird of the year:-














5 comments:

  1. Thanks Bri and many thanks for the text.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done catching up with the Snow Bunting John and getting some great pictures.
    Nigel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found it John and nice pics mate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nigel and Dave a real stunner.

    ReplyDelete