Thursday 15 February 2018

√Ilkley - Wind in the Willows

A Ride out to Ilkley and another try for the Hawfinch was the order of the day today.

The wind was the prominent feature with gusts of 50mph along the river wharf early afternoon.

The wharf was very, very high due to snow melt further north I suspect. There was no 'Dipper Stones' and no Dippers today.

An hour or so around the cemetery failed to locate any Hawfinch. A lady birder there told me that there we now 4 birds here, she had not spotted one today either.

After our first look-see we went to the café at Christchurch in Ilkley on the main road, opposite Betty's.

After lunch I 'allowed' Sue to go shopping while I returned to the cemetery continue my hunt but I came up blank.

I don't think I'll make a twitcher and I guess I picked a pretty bad day to go a looking I think.

The cemetery had a Song Thrush singing very, very quietly before giving in to 'Steve Wonder's  Blowin in the wind' 
Also here Goldcrest, 2 Nuthatch, Many Long Tailed Tit, Robin, Great Tit, Blue Tit and many Corvids.

A very small, angular, Raptor passed very quickly overhead, aided and abetted by the strong wind.
I did get 2 quick photos before it flew over Ilkley Moor.
The bird was so distant and hellishly difficult to see.
Merlin came to mind but then lots of stuff comes to mind don't it?
Probably a Kestrel.

A couple of Oystercatcher flew up river calling.

After the cemetery visit I walked upstream, past the Tennis Courts.

There is an old wagon thing that sits in the bushes here, that looks to be 300 years old, and that hasn't moved since I was a young lad.
Today, though, and elderly Gentleman actually started it up.
The resulting black smoke nearly obliterated the wagon.
I was a tad amazed when it was not here when I came back past here.

The wind beyond the tennis court was gusting at 50mph but a tad further along, through the small copse, it was quite calm.

A couple of Oystercatcher were asleep on the far banking.
7 Moorhen were feeding on the golf course.

A long awaited sighting of Grebe was satisfied when I spotted a pr. Little Grebe on a calmer inlet.
I had to negotiate a fallen tree and plenty of mud to get close enough for a poor picture.
A few Mallards and a Goosander were resting on the banking.


Always a treat to visit Ilkley.






Mega distant Raptor!!


Best I could do!!



A bit better - but not much.
Quite pleased I got any picture at all
given the speed it was travelling at.
Looks like a Kestrel to me.












No comments:

Post a Comment