Tuesday 16 September 2014

Fly Flats & Ogden

11:30

Sue dropped me off at the turbine car park in thick mist and drizzle, for a walk to Fly Flats & then back to Ogden.

After the short(ish) walk to Fly Flats the weather began to brighten with warm sunshine eventually breaking through.

3 Red Grouse on the wall on the approach to the water with a further 2 calling from the fields.

Lots of active Meadow Pipit and also a pr. Wheatear, near the new 'no entry sign',  who very kindly posed for us.

The water itself was completely bereft of birdlife.

I had a pleasant chat with Bob from Brighouse who has just taken up an interest in birding and who kindly dropped me off at Withens , saving me some boot leather.

At the Withens a Kestrel a couple of Swallow and Meadow Pipit watched me have my butties. The Kestrel was off to have his lunch as well by the looks of his talons.

On the way down to Ogden I took the first stile on the left near the pines where a GSW was calling but not ‘spotted’.

In the trees here a lot of small birds flitting about ,no doubt including Goldcrest, but just Wren and Robin seen.

A couple more Wren and 5 Robin spotted on the way to the water. 

Also in the woods my first Treecreeper in ages. Sorry about the picture.

On the water a far off Tufted Duck,a  Little Grebe and the usual BHG population.
The water level at Ogden looks like a record low to me.

No Cormorant of GCG seen although I kept to the east side path.


Where are all the Greenfinch?


A murky start.








Kestrel in the distance


Kestrel cropped image






Today's Post & Bell



Treecreeper top right(ish)  -  honest.



I wonder how long it will be, before this normally unseen pipe will disappear again at Ogden






1 comment: