Saturday 25 October 2014

Brighouse Canal / River Calder


With Sue confined to the couch for another 10 days, and the awful Bradshaw / Queensbury early morning weather, I decided to take a drive down to St. Tropez (Brighouse) – right decision.

After passing through passport control and applying a liberal dollop of sun lotion I headed off on the canal towards Elland. 
Later I had a stroll by the River Calder, took a squint at the feeders and headed back on the river and canal towards Brighouse.

The weather soon brightened up with sunny periods, most of the path by the river though, came home on the sole of my boots.

Nice to meet 2 Bradford birders down there looking for Goosander and Chimney Swift – I had not seen any (Goosander) up to that point but spotted 2 (Goosander)  later on.

Ed: (I thought I'd insert the word (Goosander) just to avoid any confusion with Chimney Swift)

Birds:-

Quite a good outing for me.

Grey Heron (real and fake), Robin, BHG, 6 Jay, 12 wren.
Bullfinch calling weakly, 2 LTT (must have been loads more).
3 Goldcrest.

A nice treat in the shape of a Treecreeper – long time no see.(Poor photo though).

Green Woodpecker, 8 Cormorant (7 on the pylon).

Reed Bunting on the feeders, Little Grebe, c80 Canada Goose - no Barnacle in amongst as far as I could see.

Dunnock, Grey Wagtail.

2F Goosander, 2 Moorhen.


4 M 1F Teal, a good way off,  Chaffinch, Blue & Great Tit and others.




Don't know if this black dot is significant.



Today's Post


Treecreeper Honest


A fun Guy










Another fun guy

































3 comments:

  1. A good selection of birds there John always good to get local Teal & a Green Woodpecker & yes I can see the Treecreeper. Those Apples might tempt some winter Thrushes & with some luck a few Waxwings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good photos John, the dot is a corvid. The Green Sandpiper was down there on the lagoons today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed the Green Sandpiper alas Bri.

    ReplyDelete