Saturday 25 April 2015

Oats Royd

10:25.

After being given an art lesson by Abigail I managed a circuitous walk to School Lane shops for a newspaper, via Oats Royd.

With it being a breezy, showery morning I was hoping the dog strollers would be indoors but it was not to be.

The same birds as yesterday more or less.

No sign of the Mandarin Duck which I guess is long gone to Ogden (not)!
The Moorhen & chicks re-appeared on the top pond.
I could not tell how many chicks were there, they were very mobile in and out of the thick undergrowth.

From Oats Royd I took the path up to the industrial complex and turned left below the works buildings emerging at the schools at Holdsworth.

A lovely path spoiled by a lot of litter, every plastic pop bottle you could name with a few larger cans thrown down for good measure.

If they could make the bottles out of cardboard at lease they would decompose over time. I guess these will be here after the school kids who threw the bottles down reach retirement .

A Pied Wagtail was on Bradshaw Bowling Green.

I remember collecting bottles, when we were kids,from the Brewery tip at  Brewery Head Lane , Ambler Thorn, Queensbury, washing them in puddles, selecting the best ones for a refund and  taking them to Mrs. Barratts shop at the top of Windy Bank Lane  - for the deposit  - 1d I think.

When I think back now I'm sure she knew where the bottles came from but, because she knew we had nowt, she turned a blind eye to it and gave us the refund anyway!!

 A type of reverse recycling!

"And if you tells the kids today they don't believe you" said Mr Grump.




A few pics:-



Mandarin Pond











1 comment:

  1. Collected many a quart pop bottle for refund. At least it stopped you throwing them away when there was money involved.

    ReplyDelete