Friday 31 July 2015

Ogden to Bradshaw Thur. 30th July 2015 & Sat 18 July 2015 The Needles


Ogden:


15:00 – 17:15 [Thurs]

It was a bright afternoon with a cool refreshing breeze, as I had the usual saunter around, a busier than usual Ogden.

There was a large contingent of BHG with a Common Gull and a few LBBG.
I thought I’d got a Herring Gull but it was not to be. One of the LBBG had a ring on its leg but the numbers are unclear.
I doubt I’ll ever master the gull families in there different guises,(I don’t know how B.S. does it).
10 Canada Goose, 1 tufted Duck, 1 Grey Wagtail and a Sparrowhawk flew over my head (quite low down then!). It seems to be my week for Sparrowhawk – 3 days – 3 Sparrowhawk.
I spent a frustrating 20 minutes to the north of the first bridge, trying to ID several different birds high in the pines there.
I actually thought for one moment that I’d got a Spotted Flycatcher but its mannerisms soon put paid to that idea. I decided that it was a Willow Warbler!
Of the other birds, no doubt there were a few Goldcrest ,but I could not get the bins on any of them for more than a few seconds. Definitely present were Coal & Blue Tit – big deal I hear you say but I waited about so long, I had to blog something!!!
A couple of Nuthatch, a Pipit in a tree and a Pipit on a wall other than “Pipit” I cannot say.

Leaving Ogden via the path at the end of the prom,  (that (nearly) skirts the Golf Course and drops down left to a bridge over the stream, before exiting onto Rock lane) a nice surprise in the shape of a M. Blackcap calling from a tree to a Juv. Blackcap in the ferns. The Juv. soon joined it’s parent in the tree. Also here  a couple of Whitethroat.







A couple of frustrating shots.
This is not the "Spotted Flycatcher" however


Another stunner


The ring on LBBG (below) alas is illegible



A Pipit in a Tree!!


Same Pipit in a Tree!!




A Pipit in on a wall!!


The Needles:

What a beautiful place the Isle of Wight is!
There are so many different places to see and all can be reached on the local bus service if you don’t want to drive around – even the bus drivers are courteous and friendly (when we asked for directions they were helpful and we didn’t get the French bus drivers shrug!!).
The weather is very kind to us again today, as we set off for the Needles.

The Needles is buzzing with people but still amazingly chilled.
We took in all the sights, the best one for me being 3 Rock Pipit on the grass by the Old Battery.

There were numerous Cormorant perched on the White Needle rocks (maybe Shag as well.. I can't tell).

Also about Linnet, Goldfinch and on our long hike back via Freshwater Bay Herring Gull, in twos and threes,  sailing into the wind without a single wing beat, a marvellous sight to see.

The Needles is a truly great place to visit and a great day out with lots to do even if the weather is poor.

Sunday 19th July 2015. - Yarmouth Area

We enjoyed a walk to Yarmouth from our campsite at Heathfield farm on another warm and sunny day.

A Curlew and later on 2 Curlew Sandpipers were feeding by the river Yar.( At least I hope that's what they are!!!).

The river also held 2 GBBG one catching a fish as I watched.


On the route back a couple of Swifts were feeding and a Buzzard was soaring over the School Green area.






Just after seeing this sign a double decker bus came around a sharp bend on the track!


I'm guessing at Stonechat - any comment would be welcome



























5 comments:

  1. Pipit in tree - not sure as Meadow P has a yellowish lower mandible and Tree pipit is pink but that's a tricky one and they are often hard to see properly depending on the light ! Meadow Pipits in trees always confuse the issue !!!!
    The pipit on a wall is Meadow Pip - see the very long hind claw which is much shorter in Tree Pip.......
    Like the needles shots and the Black-tailed Godwit shots. Welcome back. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for the comments Dave.
    I guess the Curlew Sandpiper will have to wait for another time.

    (You would never guess that I studied 3 bird books before deciding on Curlew Sand.
    I'm B***** hopeless at bird I.D.!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well spotted on the LBB ring, will keep a look out for it.
    Tonights Cormorants must have come in teatime ish.

    ReplyDelete