Thursday 26 November 2015

Raven on Soil Hill

10:00

I had a stroll around Soil Hill this morning delivering some sunflower hearts for the Crows lunch.
While I was talking to Ken (a regular dog walker up here) I noticed a large black bird attempting to land on the communication mast – possible Raven I though.
It then called and identified itself as a Raven – but soon disappeared -  nice start to the day though.
A good stroll around did not produce much on the deck but in the far NW corner a Kestrel was hovering and high above it a Sparrowhawk was soaring with crows climbing towards it to give it the elbow.
A couple of Roe Deer were relaxing far down the north end fields.
A bird flushed from the top and its flight reminded me of a Mistle Thrush but the call made when it flushed was a ‘clucking’ sound but I could not ID the bird.
4 Meadow Pipit completed the search up here.
 A chance meeting with NK followed and we both had a good scan about but it was pretty dead up here. Another birder was up here who we did not recognise at the time but it turned out to be postman Pat ( well Dave B.) actually who we caught up with near Ogden.

Also at Ogden there was a birder I have not met before ( Pete G.) who had been on a long hike and had seen a Goldeneye on Cold Edge Dams.

The three wise men had a stroll around the water and a good chat.
Ogden was poor with the usual small gulls, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, c10 Long Tailed Tit and a good spot by NK of a flighty Grey Wagtail.

One of the highlights of the day was that of a Robin.
It sat on the fence within 2 feet of the 3 of us. I rummaged in the sack for a bit of biscuit and put the biscuit on my hand – it ignored it and flew into the tree.
 NK who is 7 feet tall held out the same biscuit and down it came hovered above his palm, picked up and flew off with the biscuit – nice one.

Dave gave me a lift to Mixenden while NK decided to walk there (hope your efforts were rewarded Nigel).

Mixenden held a few small gulls (4 BHG and 1 Common) nearby and some others at the far north East end – which we did not check out.

A good 30 mins stroll through the woods produced just 4 Goldcrest.
Dave and I went on to Fly Flats but the fog thickened at Wainstalls so we stopped here to check out the Little Owl area with no luck.

Just 4 Thrush types over, possibly Fieldfare but the light was poor.

A trip to Cold Edge Dams was curtailed half way there, again because of the fog.
Thanks lads for the company and Dave for the Taxi – I owe you a pint or two.

p.s.
Dave – your car is the FORD on the right!!

















TV broadcast at Ogden?






Mixenden:




Above Wainstalls:



3 comments:

  1. Nice Raven John and a good thorough report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bri. I was pleased that I had ID the Raven before it's call.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the walk and the company John, hmmmm now where did I leave my car?

    ReplyDelete