Sunday 31 July 2016

Swalesmoor


17:10 – 18:25

A late afternoon trip to Swalesmoor, an area I seldom visit,  to have a try for DJS’s Juv. Yellow Wagtail.
Knowing my birding recognition skills I thought I’d have a job on!

I was unsure of the exact location to go-a-looking.

I parked near the Swinmrite building and took the bridleway opposite.

It was a bright and breezy afternoon with splendid views over Halifax and well beyond.

Things started with a bang with 2 Green Woodpeckers leaving the trees at the bottom of the track and flying parallel to the track before disappearing.

(On the return trip the same, presumably, 2 Green Woodpeckers were seen individually).
At the top of the track there was a bit of a breeze and a few Swallow were zipping about. A few Lesser Black-backed Gull hung on the breeze and lots of Caaaavids seemed to enjoy fighting each other, using the breeze to get up steam.

I reached the metal fence and guessed this was the place, because there were a few Pied Wagtail in the scrubby field by a metal gate, and 2 large blue plastic feeders.
There were 5 or 6 Wagtails seen and I took quite a few pictures.

I think I may have the Juv. Yellow Wagtail – the call and the colouring was different – but it could easily be a Grey Wagtail.

10 + 2 Linnet were seen in the bushes here – a lovely bird and a single Meadow Pipit called from a wall top.

Looking at the terrain I wondered if Twite have ever been seen hereabouts.




















4 comments:

  1. Amazing photos of the Yellow Wag John, don,t know how you managed to get it out in the open like that. I had 2 hours this aft and just came away with rubbish shots from about 50 yds away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bri.
    Just lucky that's all - but according to granddaughter Abigail, Yellow is my favourite colour.(She has a colour for all of us - wether we like it or not).

    Dave did a great job to pick it out - I doubt if I'd have seen it, but I know what to look for in future.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's a Y/wag ok John - nice one. Still there this afternoon (Tuesday). have you seen a male Yellow Wag - now that is a treat !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen Yellow Wagtails at Tong Garden Centre, on the riverside path at Otley and nr. Kilnsey Crag.
    I remember all my sightings, because as you say they are a real treat.
    My 4 sightings cover 20 years (walking more than birding really).
    Well picked out in the first place Dave.
    John

    ReplyDelete