Thursday 20 October 2016

Bradshaw - Soil Hill - Ogden circular

 12:50 - 17:20

I had an enjoyable jaunt, that took up most of the afternoon, today.
The outing started well with a Sparrowhawk circling overhead as I fastened my walking boots on the garden seat.
The 'Koi Carp' bridleway revealed a single Redwing calling as it sat in the trees near Railes House. I nearly dismissed it as a Blackbird.

Soil Hill

13:30 - 14:20

I had a good scout around the hill today. 
The weather was just right for walking and I even ventured down 'Ring Ouzle Clough' but didn't see much.

Walking along the SW corner a Snipe flushed without a call, flew 'fairly' low over the west side to land about 300 metres out of sight.
White was visible during the flight but it was off very fast, and I did not get the bins on it!

9 or so Meadow Pipit were here there and everywhere.

c50 Lapwing, a good bunch of Starling and Gulls were far off in the lower north end fields.

A Moorhen was far,far off on the lower NK pond (I think).

Along the N path a second Snipe flushed and this one called.

It flew off and dropped down on wings like a pair of closed brackets ().

Coming off the hill there was a solitary Skylark.

Just a Wren seen on Ned Hill Track.

Plantation Area

14:40

A Heron seen here and c50 Redwing flew over Back Lane and over the conifers in the general direction of Soil Hill.

From the pond near the rough kissing gate onto back lane, 3 horse riding types disturbed my third Snipe of the day.

This one was very vocal and flew high, zig-zagging - a Common Snipe I would say.
Just a couple of Goldfinch seen on the way to the water.

Ogden Water 

15:05

I had a long leisurely stroll around the water going along the promenade and along the west bank.

I spotted B.S. across the water, at passerine alley,and assumed I'd meet up with him later on the walk - but our paths did not cross alas.

(Though about phoning you Bri but did not want to spoil a possible mega moment).

I picked up c6 Goldcrest around the circuit and then met up with the large c40 Goldfinch flock, opposite passerine alley.

I did managed to get 2 Redpoll before a frustrating 30 minutes left me with 'Chaffinch Eye' trying to shoehorn a 'B' - Brambling out of the flock. 
Unless one of these poor photos had a Brambling I've dipped again!

Dogs and dog walkers were a-plenty today. 
One couple had 5 loose dogs, each one needing shouting at, as they passed me, as I was  trying to 'Bramble'.

Each time the birds settled along came Donald Dog Walker and up popped the flock into cover. 

I gave up after 30 minutes or so having eyeballed a few Blue Tit, Great Tit and a lot of Chaffinch.

A couple of Jay were seen as I left the scene.

Leaving via Boggart Brigg the temperature dropped considerably and I caught sight of a couple of Coal Tits - pure coincidence.

Nothing much seen after that, it was getting late so I legged it along Cow Hill Gate Lane, Ingham Lane and Bradshaw Lane.

A smashing afternoon out and about, with the added pleasure of not getting a Brambling tick - just yet!


House Sparrow at long distance (I believe)


































2 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed you John. I checked Passerine alley, then spent 30 mins back on the promenade sky watching and trying to get the Kingfisher, then back for another quick check of the alley. Sounds like everything was on the west side today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good day for me today, always good to get Redpoll for me.
    I was looking forward to a good natter though.

    I think you just missed out on the Chaffinch flock near Passerine Alley.

    Amazing what a few minutes difference can make to birding.
    John

    ReplyDelete