Monday 5 December 2016

Bradshaw - Soil Hill - Ogden - Giant's Tooth - Bradshaw

10:45 - 15:40

I had my usual jaunt today. I'm becoming very predictable I'm afraid.

By the time the Gas Fire Bloke had left our fire in 'tip-top' condition this morning, the fog in the valley, had risen into low-ish dull murky stuff but the sun came along and it was an Ok morning.
The afternoon was bitterly cold once the fog began to re-form.

It was a nice surprise to see Dave W. who stopped his car for a natter when he saw me trudging up Taylor Lane.

The Little Owl had moved house again and it took a bit of finding. 
I was well pleased when I picked it out on top of a field wall.

I took a picture , on the off-chance, that  'an odd looking blob' in the bushes, might just, be a bird.

It was far away - looking at the picture I believe it's an Owl and possibly too large for a Little Owl?


Possibly a Tawny Owl.?

Blog update 19:18: The bird is a Little Owl - thanks boys!!

A Kestrel  Sparrowhawk was hunting above Taylor Lane fields.

Soil Hill was quiet again with one or two Meadow Pipit heard faintly but no Skylark.

A Wren was on the wall at the top of the main track - anything up here is a bonus these days.

I thought I'd dipped on the Stonechat but I eventually picked it out - another pleasing 'spot'.

C50 Lapwing were in the lower fields and a couple of Wren were on Ned Hill Track.

It was very quiet along Coal Lane and through the Plantation with just the usual Pheasants about and possibly 2 Stock Doves.

A good scan and walk along Back Lane looking for Crossbill came up blank.

An Owl called from nearby, possibly, a Tawny Owl - definitely not a Little Owl.

13:30 Ogden

After a coffee and a warm up in the visitors centre - always warm and cosy in here - I had a look around the water.

The usual Small Gulls and Mallards were here with a least one Lesser Black-backed Gull.

I took another picture of a 'plastic bottle' sitting on the water below some bushes , it just might have morphed into a Tufted Duck or a F. Goldeneye - now that I have examined the photo?
But I can't tell which , if any of these, it might be!!

Blog updated at 19:18: Hybrid Mallard!!!

6 Wren were seen on the tour.

A half-hour detour up to Giant's tooth, hoping for Crossbill, failed to find any. 
I saw a Coal Tit and 2 Red Grouse up here today.


I flushed the Red Grouse, from the main path, near the Giant's Tooth and was amazed when I actually got a picture of it.

Back on the circuit the fog was beginning to re-form.
A second look for the Kingfisher in a now very dull drainage channel came up blank again.

I think I was , maybe, 30 mins too early, I did hang around a while but no joy.

Passerine Alley was quiet, but I did get a cracking Nuthatch that was moving about very quickly - my first Nuthatch in a while.

Also here a Goldcrest and a quiet call from a Bullfinch (not seen).

It was another enjoyable 5 hours (ish) out and about.
Great to have a few days without getting wet.

A big change in the weather apparently from Wed. this week.
9 degrees and a South West wind with rain - might bring something on to the water.



Mystery 'Owl'





Spot the Little Owl











Morning fog lifting over Thornton











Mystery Duck - Ogden Water




Interesting?






Mist re-forming 















3 comments: