Friday 13 January 2017

√Soil Hill Wind Chill, Ogden Area, Bradshaw

10:00 - 14:45

A tough hike today after some snow shifting this morning.

I thought I'd give Soil Hill another try for Snow Bunting - I'll get one , just a matter of time!

On the way up a leathally icy Taylor Lane (glad I don't live up here) there were few birds about:-

Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Wren, Dunnock & Robin.

It was pleasing to see the Little Owl sheltering inside the combined harvester.

Soil Hill

2 Fieldfare flew over as I approached the track.

It was bitter cold here with a NNW gale moving the snow into drifts.

I felt a tad stupid clumping about knowing full well that owt with any brains would not be up here in this weather.

There was one humanoid mending the damaged mast building.
Not sure I classed myself as human.

I had a trudge along the main track to the area where I' d seen Snow Bunting before then headed off west to Ned Hill Track, Coal Lane and Ogden.

Nothing seen on Soil Hill, just a Blackbird on Ned Hill Track and a Wagtail called as I left Coal Lane - didn't see it but there is a Pied Wagtail that hangs about here.

Ogden:

I flushed a possible Reed Bunting from the field beyond Back Lane - it did not not call, kept low and had a long tail.
I tried to relocate it but failed.

Ogden had the usual suspects c25 Canada Geese, c35 Small Gulls.
The Mallards were 'up north' - the Sunblest slingers being absent.

I decided on a Robin count and got to 9.

A Bullfinch called but not a lot else here today.

Leaving via the steep path to Rocks Road I stopped for a butty break by the stream.
A pair of Jay were examining an old nest, presumably for a refurb. Job.

Another Jay was seen by the Golf Club along with 3 Long Tailed Tit and 2 Mistle Thrush.

Along Cow Hill Gate Lane a  Heron struggled against the wind > W.
A couple of Goldfinch flew overhead on Ingham Lane and a large flock of Starling came and went.

A tough day today -  Great Northern Diver next week I hope!




Taylor Lane Bottom


Taylor Lane






Soil Hill main track


Soil Hill looking west


Soil Hill - bleak but beautiful


Plantation Area towards Ogden



Plantation Area Robin of the day


I thought I'd got something 'special' but it's a 1st Winter Common Gull



Robin of the day - one of 9 at  Ogden


Bread lobbers area - bereft of lobbers and bread






2 stunning Long Tailed Tit photos



Union Lane - view over Ogden Golf Course North (ish)



A Heron just!

2 comments:

  1. Like the Arctic tundra shots John (not Soil Hill is it? )!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not Soil Hill Dave.
    I popped over to Fairbanks, Alaska early this morning from Leeds/Bradford airport.
    I had to fiddle a bit with the Snowy Owl pic to make it look like a Little Owl - pretty good job I thought but....
    I guess you've rumbled me.
    John 😅

    ReplyDelete