Wednesday 22 November 2017

√A couple of local reservoirs

Leeshaw 11:00 - 12:00 (ish)

I had a run out to Leeshaw this morning to see if this windy stuff had dropped owt in.

Very breezy and quiet on the water with most of the Gull population hiding around the NW edge of the water, too distant for me to get any decent photographs.

A Cormorant was diving constantly and a Grey Wagtail made a brief appearance.

A pleasing moment was when I eyeballed a Kestrel sheltering under the top of a field wall.

Leaving Leeshaw in the car, c30 Geese flew over.
I got some rubbish photos - but I didn't ID the Geese.

With Best Lane closed and some roadworks on my earlier journey, I decided to go home via the Fly Flats road.
This route also encountered road works where there is a major wall rebuilding project underway near the Oxenhope boundary.

I had a two minute stop at Fly Flats,  just long enough to take a picture of the water.
There were no birds on the water, as far as I could tell, lots of waves and wind, quite bright though.
I do not leave the car nowadays, when I visit here.

A surprising encounter on the road before the wind farm, a road sweeper.

And, a not so surprising encounter, further along,a burnt out car.

Ogden 12:40 - 14:15.

After a coffee and a butty stop in the visitors centre I spent 90 mins or so doing a couple of laps of the water.

It was windy with some drizzle but not as windy as home.

c25 Small Gulls on the water with a couple of Lesser Black Backed Gulls and the usual Mallards.

The first circuit was quiet but a Kingfisher flew from bushes near the water, as I went along the west side.
It disappeared into low dark bushes further along, not to be relocated.

Also about Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird and 6 or so Goldcrest.
A Chaffinch was heard but not seen.

No sign of any Chaffinch flock that might hold a Brambling I'm afraid.

The second circuit was much like the first - quiet.

A urgent call of nature had me legging it deeper into the woods.
As I returned towards the path a bird caught my eye, high in the gloom of the conifers, a Treecreeper.
Higher up, in the same area,a Great Spotted Woodpecker was also in the gloom.

So some sort of reward here - I'll have to start going for a pee more often!

There is a big change to the weather after Thursday, with cold stuff and wintry showers.
I'll be glad to see the back of this gloom.

Leeshaw:






Poor - distant pics of Gulls on the NW corner



Geese - taken through the car windscreen


Fly Flats:


Looks pretty - but blowing a gale


Ogden:


A near deserted bread lobbers area


The Treecreeper and Great Spotted Woodpecker pics are so bad. that even I darn't post 'em! 

No comments:

Post a Comment