Friday 26 January 2018

√Bradshaw to Ogden circular hike

9:15 - 14:30

With Sue having a busy day today, I was left to go my own way.
A cracking day for a 5 hour walk today. We have had so few days like this, this winter, it seems.

I went via Bradshaw farms to Syke Lane, around Ogden Water. Then over to pass by the Golf Clubhouse along the stream and followed the track and fields paths to Mixenden Reservoir.
Some beautiful countryside here, a great place for my butty break.
A circuit of the water and back to Hunter Hill where a right took me through Stod Fold and up the track to Brockholes and along the Calderdale Way to Bradshaw Park and home.

Birds:-

The local Little Owl was a devil to locate but I did eventually eyeball it on a wall behind a small tree - always great to see.

21 Goldfinch were in trees by a farm with 2 Fieldfare high in the trees here.

10:10 Ogden

As I arrived at the Visitors centre a Sparrowhawk flew low over the conifers.
A circuit of the water revealed the usual Mallards, Common, Black Headed and at least one Lesser Black-backed Gull and a Cormorant.

Passerine alley was  bathed in sunlight and busy with birds calling.
Long Tailed Tit (One with a short tail?) were plentiful with the usual sp. hereabouts.

A left at the end of the Promenade towards the Golf clubhouse had a would be Reed Bunting morph into a Dunnock as I got the bins on it and a Coal Tit.

The walk to Mixenden Reservoir was a lot quieter that I had expected with just a hunting Kestrel and a Jay.

Mixenden Res. 12:40

I was hoping for big things at Mixenden - live in hope die ...

A slow full circuit of the water brought with it lots of Gulls.
The majority sunbathing on the east bank with a solitary Cormorant.
No wild fowl seen today which was a disappointment.

A WASP was on the 5 bar exit gate wall as I tried to get my leg over the high gate.

Entering the field above Stod Fold brewery a scan to my right for Green Woodpecker gave me something to smile about with my second Little Owl.

A calling Nuthatch here , failed to show up for the interview.

c10 Fieldfare were in the trees above Brook House.
A Stock Dove was further along.

It was very quiet from here to home.
5 Moorhen and a Mistle Thrush with a few smaller bird sp. seen in the park area.

A great day out.









Ogden Water:




God it's boring here


Approaching Ogden Golf course:-


Mixenden Res













Stod Fold - Little Owl




Very Dapper Stock Dove

2 comments:

  1. Can't see anything different in the gulls John, other than and ad Herring Gull on No 33.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave.
      I did pick out the Herring Gull and was wondering about a dark plumaged Gull, 2 photos back from the Herring Gull.
      But I've settled on a Common Gull, in "quite young" plumage for the time of year.
      Thanks again
      John

      Delete