Tuesday 12 November 2019

Bradshaw - Soil Hill Circular

13:00 - 15:00

The usual birding walk up to and around a lonely and cold Soil Hill then a look along Ned Hill Track before dropping down Ned Hill Lane, a left at the bottom through the farms.

A cold NNW wind was blowing on the very top c400m (1312ft) according to the OS map, it's probably higher now with the quarry 'piles'.

The Snow Bunt, Lapland Bunt, Snipe or Twite hunt failed again.

I cannot compete with the 'Gorple Birders' here, but I've not written Soil Hill off … yet.
I've promised myself a photo of a Mega up here this winter.
I'll probably have to take my Bird Guide out of the sack and take a photo of page 368! to achieve it (or maybe follow local birder Dan Branch about , one day over Christmas)!

Sue's dad Ken is 99 years young today, but old age can be a curse as well as a blessing.
I saw my first Black Redstart on his Birthday a few years ago, when he was a lot more mobile than today alas.

Birds:

Taylor Lane was good with a Little Owl, Stock Dove, Mistle Thrush and 15 Starling.

Soil Hill.Apart from a couple of Airborne Common Gull I cannot remember seeing another bird here.

The farm track held the usual crew:
Chaffinch, calling Bullfinch (not seen), Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, c30 Goldfinch, Coal Tit,  2 Herring Gull overhead.

Nearer Home Collard Dove, 6 Mistle Thrush.

Common Gulls were 'common' throughout with fewer Black Headed Gull.

Song Thrush seems a rare bird for me these days?




Stock Dove


Common Gulls struggling in the wind


Goldfinch



No comments:

Post a Comment