Thursday 13 February 2020

Ringby Top Swalesmoor & Soil Hill

A couple of hours birding up at Ringby Top early afternoon.

I needed a boost after being gifted a £35 parking ticket in St. Albans road, Skircoat Green this morning visiting a friend.
I used to park my horse there, when I went crown green bowling, at Greenroyd B.C. in the "1800's" without a problem - how times have changed.
If I can't see the permit holders only signs it doesn't bode well for this year's birding list!

Anyway.

Ringby Top:


Breezy, very dull, with bands of dark clouds approaching from the west.
The odd sharp shower … sky brightened as I was leaving.

Birds:

A large skein of fragmented Geese, way off over Pellon, fast disappearing - c140 Pink Footed? or Greylags??
Given the high number of Geese I'm thinking Pinkies.
Just 1 Common Gull for the first hour followed later on by c15 coming through.
Black Headed Gull.
Herring Gull.

At least 2 Raven.
House Sparrow.
c20 Pied Wagtail.
5 Skylark
Very distant high Raptor plagued by Corvid - Peregrine? probably Sparrowhawk.
c15 Meadow Pipit.
1 Lapwing.
1 Fieldfare.
1 Grey Wagtail.
Stock Dove.
Usual Corvids.

Soil Hill etc:

An hour, late afternoon, up to and around The Hill did not lift the spirits much.
I might need to lift some spirits, in a glass, after some of my visits here!

Pick of the bunch:

Little Owl
Pr. Raven.
c30 Fieldfare over > West.
Herring Gull.


Raptors , mega distant.


Goshawk











Soil Hill:








14 comments:

  1. Geese look a bit on the big side for Pinkies??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to get a good look at them John. Most look to have quite large head/bill so I suspect Greylags ???? A good count for Greylags if they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave.
    Not an easy one when they are so distant.
    I think Greylags by the size but a lot of Greylags as you say.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eventually put it on Trek as unidentified Grey Geese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your middle raptor is a Goshawk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your middle raptor is a Goshawk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. top pic looks like Goshawk but is the lower pic the same bird..??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! A lifer if Goshawk Nick.
    yes they are the same bird Andy.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's no way that's the same bird, check times on photos. There are 3 photos, top one looks like a possible buzzard in the bottom right corner, middle one looks like a Goshawk and the bottom one looks like a falcon. Have you any more of the middle one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photos on the blog are the only ones I have now.
    I keep all the originals for a few days to see if there is any interest, if no interest is shown, the majority are deleted from my laptop.
    Any 'decent quality ' photos are retained.
    (these were not deemed decent quality,alas).
    Given the time lapse, now, I cannot be certain about events at that time.
    I tried to look at the time-stamp earlier this eve with no joy.
    I don't think the time-stamp metadata is available from uploaded photos via the Blogger software.
    I'll have another try though.
    Thanks for your interest Nick.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you got on to a bit of a raptor scrap to me...and took 3 different birds thinking it was the same one , I have done this before when there are loads of birds in the sky its tricky especially when they are fighting the camera just locks on the whatever it can,,and in this case looks like 3 different birds...deffo Gos for me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well worth putting it on Calderdale birds to cheer everyone up...its been a poor start to the year so far...I would go for Buzzard , Gos and prob Kestrel..

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are 4 'raptors' in the first pic.
    There is no gap between the second and third pic number, so they were taken 'close' together.
    The problem with a huge zoon camera is locating a particular bird(s) as they move.
    I think you are right the 2 pics are of different birds.
    Tks for the comment.
    John

    ReplyDelete