Thursday 25 April 2024

Whiteholme and Blackstone Edge Reservoirs (Twite)

I was given a free birding pass today with Sue having other priorities.

I took the opportunity to drive over to Whiteholme Reservoir.

The drive is a long one but I always enjoy the walk across the moorland on the good track to Whitehome - well nearly always.

I parked a little way down the Mytholmroyd "wavy" M1 road in a layby of sorts.

Today the weather was exceptionally cold for late April.

 Having not seen many birds on the walk along the track, I was looking forward to eyeballing the reservoir area.

The water is very, very high and a long leisurely walk along the west side was really disappointing.

While I sat behind the "stone tower thing" at the far end (trying to keep warm, while scoffing my delicious butties of ham, tomato and mustard - made with my fair hand ) I wondered "what am I doing here" having not seen a Wader,

A very faint call might have been a Redshank and might not have been!

I was going to retrace my steps to the car,  but I decided to turn the "birding walk" into just a "walk to warm up", so I set off in a light sleet shower along the west path that loops round south and then south east to end up at Blackstone Edge Reservoir.

This turned out to be a good move.

Soon after leaving the reservoir I thought I heard a Twite call but I did not see the bird(s).

I know from the Calderdale grapevine that there are a few Twite hereabouts so the call was encouraging.

When I arrived at Blackstone Edge Reservoir I heard Twite calls nearby and I was very, very lucky to see two Twite here - bingo - a first for me in Calderdale, although I've seen Twite before, mostly at the coast.

The birds were quite kind, landing nearby, disappearing but returning a few times.

A memorable outing.

Birds:-

Whiteholme Reservoir.

(Tough Going).

2 Skylark, Meadow Pipits, 2 Raven, 2 Red Grouse.

1 Stonechat.

Possible Redshank (heard).

2 Lesser Black-backed Gull.

2 Mallard.

4 Canada Geese.

Blackstone Edge Reservoir.

2 Twite.

3 Wheatear.

Nice to see huggings of Meadow Pipits along the walk.

Curlew.

4 Common Sandpiper.

Drake Teal - very distant.







The bird to the far left - Canada Goose?













A few extra Twite Photos:-














No comments:

Post a Comment