Thursday 26 May 2016

The Joy of Bird Watching by Mr. Grump

Even with the thick mist and persistent drizzle this morning I still decided to give Ogden a coat of looking at.

As I approached Ogden Lane the weather was awful so I changed my mind and headed off to Brighouse (Elland Gravel Pits as was).

I pulled into the usual parking area – the small road by the small Avocet trading estate just after Brookfoot Lane. Two massive trucks were manoeuvring about, leaving no room for convenient parking so I decided to drive further along the road to the LNR car Park (knowing that the bridge was closed).

I decided to park up and walk along the pavement into Elland.

The road from Brighouse to Elland is awful to walk next to, especially in this weather. Large wagons were hurtling past at 600 MPH spewing spray from the rear wheels across the pavement – I soon got fed up with this, went back to the car and then went back to Ogden!

Ogden 11:20 – 13:30

It was a wet and dreary day at Ogden with just a few Mallard, one with 9 chicks.
Around the circuit there were Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Wren & Robin and not a lot else – no Blackcap again.

I took a troll up to Giant’s Tooth and sat on the Memorial Seat and managed to gobble my butties during a 5 min. dry spell.
I was hoping for Spotted Flycatcher, here but nothing was moving except a few Chaffinch.
A Curlew called from the moor and in desperation I stood under a tree looking at a “woodpecker” hole for 15 minutes hoping something might just turn up, but nothing did.
I walked back down to the water thinking,
 “I’ve only had these flipping boots 7 years and the right heel is beginning to wear – as if”.

On my return to the water, the outing was dragged out of the gutter by a pr. Grey Wagtail that flew quickly past – the photograph is rubbish.
Hoping for an improvement in fortunes I headed off to Leeshaw but as I approached Oxenhope – Leeshaw was shrouded in mist, so I tried Leeming instead.

Leeming 14:00 – 15:20

I had a good stroll around Leeming and things looked bleak at first with just a few Mallard, Woodpigeon ,Swallow, Rook, Pr. Mistle Thrush, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler.

However, things bucked up a bit with the sighting of a pr. Tufted Duck on the water at the north end.

A Curlew called from the moors and a couple of Moorhen were on the water.
A Cuckoo called from the Leeshaw area and a few Pheasant were knocking about.
A Green Woodpecker called from nearby and then it (or a second one) called from beyond where the car was parked.

I was well chuffed to pick it out in the trees as I scanned about with the bins.
The poor photo reflects the weather and the distance to the bird (my excuse).

As I left the reservoir a final check along the wall revealed a REDSHANK feeding among the smaller stones. 
This was my first ‘local’ Redshank this year.

I managed a few photos before it flushed, calling loudly as it departed.

All in all a really miserable day was brightened by a couple of classy birds!!

Ogden:




A bit bleak approaching Giant's Tooth


Robin of the Day



Leeming:




Willow Warbler flitting about



Fish taking flies from the top of the res.








Awesome! Pr. Mistle Thrush overhead


Spot the Green Woody


Not much bette!1








2 comments:

  1. Spotted Flycatcher seen twice last night about 19.00hrs in plantation left from Giants tooth about 300 yrds down.dave p.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Dave well done.
    You've done well with Flycatcher this spring.
    John

    ReplyDelete