Thursday 30 June 2016

Bradshaw - Holdsworth Area – Oats Royd

13:15 – 15:15

June finale.

I had a stroll to Oats Royd this afternoon via the Holdsworth area and spent a good hour there.

My impression of the weather forecast had me don my waterproofs before I set off but the big black clouds did not drop owt on  me ‘ed.
It was a lot warmer that I though as well and by the time I got home I was in a real sweat.

Birds:

Not a lot happening really.
20+ Swallow, Meadow Pipit, Singing Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler.
A bird was on the soil and then in/on the wall – 2nd gap stile up from the ponds – looking at the leg colour - a Chiffchaff (I think).

The ponds held 3 Geese and a Moorhen.

A smallish Raptor made the most fleeting of appearances, above the conifers.
I managed just one photo before it vanished, and I've no idea what it is!!

Well - I've an Idea it's a Sparrowhawk but the tail looks 'wrong'. Then again it could be a Kestrel!!


On the way home Bradshaw Park had just a Mistle Thrush, a Juv. Pied Wagtail and a few other sp.




Overgrown path at Holdsworth




Spot the Chiffchaff





Overgrown path around the ponds



The remains of a Magpie I think


UNID Raptor 1.


2. Cropped


3. Lightened


4. Lightened and cropped




2 comments:

  1. Kestrel and a Willow Warb John. Nice close shot of the warb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bri.
    I was going by the 'black' leg colour for Chiffchaff.
    They are difficult to tell apart (unless they sing/call)!
    Anyway,June (normally tough) has been an unusually tough month for anything significant for me to see / photograph.
    Good luck in July.
    John

    ReplyDelete