Friday 1 July 2016

Leeshaw / Ponden

15:45 – 17:00

I paid a visit to a couple of the Oxenhope Reservoirs this aft.
It was 10 Deg. (cold for July) and there were frequent heavy downpours.

Top Tip.
If you are going through Oxenhope don’t meet the bus – it will test your reversing skills (and those of the 4 cars behind you) to the limit.

Leeshaw 15:45 – 16:40

No shoreline but I was hoping the nasty weather would deposit something.
No Gulls on the water on my arrival but 5 Lesser Black-backed Gulls came and went during my stint.

There were a few Lapwing, Pheasant, and 3 Oystercatcher.
20 Greylag Geese were out on the water with a further 19 in the fields nearby – probably a lot more out of sight as well.

Also on the water 10 Canada Geese with a few Curlew in the fields and 2 Ultra acrobatic Curlew tumbled and dived as they flew across the water. 
I don’t recall seeing Curlew flying like this before – more like Black Headed Gulls antics.

2 Ducks flew swiftly by,  and I got a poor picture, they look like Mallards to me.

A look for the Little Owl proved futile – I guess it’s would be in a wall nearby, keeping its plumage dry.

I did get a picture of a small bird that landed on the telegraph wires close by, during an unpleasant shower. It stopped for a minute before moving on.
I was hoping it might be a Twite but looking at the picture it's a Linnet.

Ponden 16:50

I didn’t stay long here, it was cold and wet.

A Heron was preening itself under the trees on the opposite bank and the water held a few Mallard.

A Common Sandpiper brightened a rather dull outing.
The Common Sand was on the shore calling nearly constantly for 10 minutes or so before having a break.

Other Birds

Lapwing, Song Thrush singing, Curlew.

I stopped the car at Leeming but didn’t get out because of the weather and a whacking downpour said “Hello” as I got home to Bradshaw.


Flaming June had gone, now it’s flaming July (or not).




2 Ducks over - Mallard I believe













Spot the Common Sandpiper











4 comments:

  1. Nice one with the Whinchat on the gold course recently, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave,
    Nigel K pointed out the area, and last year was my first sighting of Whinchat.
    I know you spot them at reqular intervals.
    A real treat to see Whinchat.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave.
      Nice to 'hear' you dulcet tones.
      John

      Delete