Wednesday 31 August 2016

Lincolnshire Coast and Soil Hill

Lincolnshire

We has a few days away over the bank holiday along the Lincolnshire coast.
The weather was kind, with warm sunshine everyday and just one massive downpour and thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon.

It was unusual for me to hear Curlew calling at this time of year – there were lots of curlew in the fields here.  
Some call the Curlew the Rain Bird here, apparently it calls just before the rain is due.

The pick of the pops was a Marsh Harrier see near Saltfleet.

I had a few jaunts with bins and camera - a few pics.


I have no idea what this bird is  - alas.


Redshank


Little Egret



Whitethroat


Willow Warbler - I believe.





Curlew



Kestrel I believe


Readshank



Juv. Common Sandpiper - I believe


Many Curlew in the fields


Spurn Point lighthouse as seen from Donna Nook


Cockle pickers refuges - now in disrepair (Donna Nook)


Meadow Pipit


Redshank


Unsure here, but I believe this is a Juv. Redshank


Little Egret & Redshank


Little Egret


Dunlin


Dunlin


Pied Wagtail


I've no idea what these are alas.


Redshank with an interesting duck - most prob a Mallard........ might be a Shoveler?


Juv. Common Sandpiper I believe



Not sure possibly Redshank in flight


Little Grebe.





15:15 – 17:30

After some ‘housework’ following our Lincolnshire holiday I took a trip up and around Soil Hill and morphed into that well know Country & Western singer Slim Pickings.

Leaving home I thought I'd had a Sparrowhawk that was soaring over Roper Lane – a bit to distant for a decent pic. though but looking at the photo it is a large gull!!

On the way to Soil Hill just a Pheasant and a few Swallows were seen.

Taylor Lane held 8 or so Meadow Pipit.

The hill was being buffeted by a strong westerly.

 As I walked about I disturbed a few Meadow Pipit and 2 Skylark and nowt else.
A few ducks were on the NK Lower Pond.

The grass is very long on the hill top, maybe a big lottery win could see someone buying the hill and creating a more inviting environment with a bit of shallow water for a start to get some decent birds here.

Ned Hill Track was a bit better ..... eventually.

After walking the track and only seeing 4 Swallow I resorted to whistling bird impressions – at least that seemed to work – a few birds responded with a call here and there.

A few birds began flitting about low in the undergrowth but I did not ID them.

A flock of c25 Linnet were kind enough to lift my spirits by descending onto the blooming heather (will ye go Lassie go… stop that singing!).

They seemed to be feeding on the heather.

Other than the usual Corvids enjoying the breeze that was about it -  still it was a pleasant stroll and only a short shower of rain – not bad weather for Soil Hill.




Non existent Sparrowhawk


New Ogden Turbines



Skylark!!!






Robin of the Day





No comments:

Post a Comment