Wednesday 28 September 2016

Leeshaw , Lower Laithe, Ponden & Ogden Reserviors


It was a breezy morning with frequent showers at Oxenhope.
A heavy shower caught me out and gave me a good drenching.

Leeshaw 10:15

Not a lot happening - maybe the strong breeze had an effect?
A good scout around failed to produce a Little Owl.

3 Cormorant, Usual Small Gulls as far as I could make out.
A few Lesser Black-backed Gull, 30+ Meadow Pipit. Heron.
2 Chaffinch, a Wagtail called as it passed overhead but I did not see it.

A large flock of Starling (possibly 100) took to the air with a larger flock of Lapwing (possibly 200) - they had been in the fields out of sight.
I had a scan for anything out of the ordinary that my have caused them to "flush" but I could not see anything.

Lower Laithe 11:20

50 Small Gulls , 2 Swallow.

Ponden 11:30

There is a lot of shoreline here at the moment. There are some repairs being done to a wall higher up at the neck of the reservoir so they have possibly drained it a bit intentionally.

The 3 dogs that were running about on the exposed shoreline on the far side did not help I guess.

3 Moorhen, 2 Heron - soon scared off by the dogs.
20 Mallard, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull! 2 Swallow.

After a trip to Boundary Mills - Colne to do some shopping ( a place I don't seem to jell with) Sue dropped me off at Ogden with the hope that my day might improve - alas it didn't.

On the way over 2 Buzzard were soaring high over Scar Top and a third Buzzard was seen over Oxenhope Reservoir.

Ogden 16:00 - 17:00

Not just as breezy as yesterday so I went to search for a YBW!!
It was quiet here again this aft.
2 Cormorant, usual Small Gulls with 3 or so Lesser Black-backed Gull.
2 Goldcrest in passerine alley (and these took some finding).
2 Jay.
No sign of the Tit flock or the large Chaffinch contingent .

Just a couple of Pied Wagtail and a few Meadow Pipit were seen on the walk home via Perseverance Road and Taylor Lane - home 17:35

Good to be out and about though.

Gales forecast for tomorrow morning apparently.

Leeshaw:










Ogden:










No comments:

Post a Comment