Tuesday 24 January 2017

√Coach Road Area

10:20 - 14:00

I had a scan around for Woodpeckers today, it was somewhat warmer than of late, with a bit of brightness.

The trees were alive with birdsong today.

c60 Redwing were in the fields at the top of Coach Road.

A short detour to the right by the golf course brought with it a M. Bullfinch.

There were lots of Goldfinch, Blue & Great Tits and Chaffinch about with a few Goldcrest and 3 Jay.

A Song Thrush and at least 4 Mistle Thrush were also seen.

Nuthatch were in abundance with 4 heard and a further 3 seen.

Woodpeckers were easy to hear but not easy to see.
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard drumming and 2 other were calling at different places during the outing.


There were a few Long Tailed Tit about and a very nice bonus of my fist 2017 Brambling.

At the very bottom of Coach Road a left brought me to the bottom of Sefton Avenue where there were many Redwing in the trees, with a couple of others birds seen head-on , these got the old heart going, thinking they were Mega.

Looking at the photos on the laptop revealed ....... 2 Brambling.


They looked too big for Brambling, when I saw them initially.

My Collins Bird Guide tells me that a Redwing is 19 - 23 cm while a Brambling is 14-16 cm - head-on, today, however they looked pretty similar in size.


Distant Bullfinch



Robin of the day



















2 comments:

  1. Cheers Dave
    I normally see them on the deck, close up.
    They threw me completely 'head-on' in the bright sunshine.
    I was beginning to think Shrike!!

    John

    ReplyDelete