Monday 29 May 2017

√Coach Road

12:30 - 14:00

Heavy drizzle with mist / fog at Bradshaw today, so I decided to get off the hill and move down a bit to Lightcliffe.

I took a 'look see' for a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Coach Road.
The light was very poor under the canopy of trees down the main track.

A few Keen or Crackers golfing types were looking for a different type of birdie to mine.
Judging from the shouts of 'fore' I heard, perhaps, like me, their special birdie will have to wait 'till another day.

There was plenty of bird song and birds flitting about to keep me occupied. 
As usual on days like today the glasses, bins and camera took some keeping dry.

On a high note, a light drumming of a Woodpecker was heard as I stood next to the plywood 'Private Trespassers Please Keep Off' sign about 300 yds down the track.
I hung around for a while but I could not locate the bird after looking at 6,531 leaves.

I listened to a drumming Lesser Pecker on my Smart Phone and the real thing and the phone version were remarkably alike - so it is heartening for me to think that a Lesser Pecker may still lurk here.

Birds:-

Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, M. Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Wren, Robin, Magpie, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, 3 Great Spotted Woodpecker - heard not seen, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Willow Warbler, Carrion Crow, 2 Mallard, 9 Swift, Pr. Collard Dove.



"Watch you step" by G.G. Dunnitt










Possible L.S.W. location



Chiffchaff


2 comments:

  1. I'll have to start calling you braveheart going out in weather like today it was horrible, you did well tho mate and hearing the LSW is a start John I might pop down there in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave.
    Lets hope it was a Lesser P!!
    John

    ReplyDelete