Monday 12 June 2017

√A late wet evening

18:15 - 21:10

Sue dropped me at Foreside Lane on her way to her friends for the evening.
Having seen from the weather forecast that I was in for a dry evening I looked forward to a long, enjoyable evening saunter.

The rain turned up as soon as I waved goodbye and was a very close companion for most of the outing!

I did the usual walk, a good nosy around the Foreside Lane area before negotiating the now nearly impassable bog on the way across to Back Lane, Ogden.

Approaching the Ogden boundary fence/wall an almighty racket was coming from the woods.

It sounded like a Jay being eaten alive.

I decided to take a look but to get into the woods I had to follow the fence/wall uphill to its demise at the start of the moor,  turn left steeply downhill on a thin path towards the stream, then take a thin step stile on the left, before climbing back up again through the woods to where the racket had come from.
After all this buggaration, of course, the bird had "flown off".

Will I ever learn?

When I got to Ogden water it was 20:15 and very quiet.
A few large Gulls were far off over to the west side.
Lots of Canada Geese and a pleasing Tufted Duck was near the bread lobbers patch.

The rain was a real pain so I went home via Syke Lane and up the steep hill to Percy Road, Taylor Lane and Bradshaw Lane, missing out Soil Hill completely.

Other Birds:

Curlew were very loud and mobile.
Sounded to be lots but actually I guess there were 4 or so.

The usual moorland birds were about.
Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Lapwing.
Oystercatcher, heard but not seen.

Snipe high overhead.
Grey Partridge.

2 Swift, a few Swallow.

Jay, Kestrel and 2 Pied Wagtail.

***********************************************

Seen on a birthday card in Halifax today:

Patient:Doctor I think I going slightly deaf.

Doctor: What are the symptoms?

Patient: An American cartoon family on TV.







???





The path to the Moor







No comments:

Post a Comment