Friday 19 August 2022

The ups and downs of a Twitcher

Back from holiday and after looking after Abi this morning, I was rewarded with a free afternoon for birding.

I thought I'd have  a try for NK's great find of Green Sandpiper at Ogden recently, and, more recently, DJS's Redstarts.

A bit quiet around the circuit, but over half way round I eye-balled a Wader in the shallow water - a Green Sandpiper.

This is a 1st for me in Calderdale and brings my Calderdale this years list to 100 and my all time Calderdale List to 135.

Hoping my luck would hold I walked past the Golf Clubhouse and past the maintenance buildings, along the track before a left turn took me and over the rough ground hereabouts  trying to locate  DJS's Redstart(s). No joy here today.... my second long stint here looking for  Redstart.

Just a few Goldfinch and a brief glimpse of a Calling Whitethroat.

Birds:-

Green Sandpiper.

5 Cormorant, Willow Warbler.

Black Headed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull.

A possible Teal (Asleep distant ).

3 Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe.

Whitethroat, Stock Dove.

3 Buzzard over Roper Lane, seen at distance, from the garden.

A dog walker called out "He's lost his ball" - "He's a ball down now".

Perhaps they will rename their dog Hitler.



Possible Teal.


Possible Teal and Black Headed Gull
for size comparison.




Green Sandpiper



Redstart area - the one , of 2, that got away 






No comments:

Post a Comment