Friday 22 March 2024

Hebden Bridge to Sowerby Bridge / Local Fields

A few bus rides for us today to Hebden Bridge followed by a walk along the canal to Sowerby Bridge.
This walk will test Sue's cough which is ok during the day but  still keeps here awake at night.
A late lunch snack in Spoons and some more buses home.
Later I enjoyed a walk up the local fields getting home as it fell dark.
This was a bitterly cold affair with a strong biting wind and the big warm coat came out to play again.

I have been searching for Wheatear along these fields for the last few days (except yesterday when life interrupted the job with along trek to Wakefield and back) but today my diligence was rewarded when I finally spotted one on the south facing hill. This bird kindly popped up onto a nearby wall for me.

A scan of the distant horse field walls as darkness fell, found a second bird and low and behold as I looked at this bird 2 further Wheaten were scuttling along the fields behind it.
Wheatear are beauties and it always amazes me how small they are.
I thought this sighting was early but it was 2 days later the my 1st sighting last spring.

Birds:-
Hebden - Sowerby.

(Just a small camera with me here).

7 Singing Chiffchaff.
6 (& and a half built) Heron nests.
1 Heron seen on one of the nests.
Greenfinch, Bullfinch,
2  Pied Wagtail.
1 Barnacle Goose.
2 Pink Footed Geese.
Collard Dove Bradshaw Lane.

Bradshaw Fields:

4 Wheatear.
1 Little Owl (heard).
1 Barn Owl.
2 Meadow Pipit.
Pheasant.




Number One.



Numbers 2,3 & 4







No comments:

Post a Comment