12:45 - 15:15
I've not been out birding for a day or two with Abby staying over for a very enjoyable few days.
There is a new game on the Daily Mail app called Jig Saw where 2 photos appear on the screen.
One is the correct photo and the second photo is mixed up small bits of the real photo placed at random.
You have to move the small bits around to recreate the original photo - like a jig saw.
When you have done it the system tells you how long you have taken to completed the task, in relation to the others completing the jig saw.
(I am rubbish at it).
Abby came 2nd out of 6660 players - which was pretty impressive.
Mind you when she texts on her phone you can hardly see her hands move.
Anyhow...
A truly lousy morning weather wise - "fortunately" I had some stuff to sort out with a few banks.
Following some mega advance payments by my publisher, for my soon to be released debut book "The Secret Life of a Carpet Mite" I needed to open some bank accounts - In The Cayman Islands, The British Virgin Islands and Switzerland. - only took 2 hours - not bad.
BS had a great find at Ogden this morning of a Ruff (link to his West Yorkshire Birding Blog is on the right) - but no sign of it when I arrived much later, which wasn't a surprise really.
I did 2 circuits of the water, telling myself if I did not see the long staying Common Sandpiper I'll pack in this birding malarky. The second circuit was quite dry.
No sign of it 1st time around but I did eyeball it in with the Mallards on my 2nd circuit.
Later, I was under the trees on the west side when all the Gulls took flight.
I searched the bit of sky available to me and I was very fortunate to see the cause of the commotion - an Osprey.
I soon lost it in the Gulls but it re-appeared for a moment before heading off NW - ish "probably".
A Little Ringed or Ringed Plover was seen on the wedge shaped mud bank but it immediately ran out of sight over the east edge of the mud not to be re-located alas.
Birds:-
Osprey.
8 Cormorants.
2 Heron.
2 Pied Wagtail.
1 Grey Wagtail.
c30 Swallow.
Canada Goose.
Great Crested Grebe.
Usual Gulls.
(Little Ringed or Ringed Plover).
21:38. ooooops...
Missed reporting a few ... got hungry. ... put tea on !!
Buzzard.
3 Chiffchaff.
Coal Tit.
Common Sandpiper.
Well done with the Osprey John. Wonder if it's the same bird as the one I clocked at Mixenden last Saturday (we will never know). There will be others coming through. Just need to be in the right place at the right time !!! easier said than done. I missed BS's Ruff too.
ReplyDelete